Brown Cichlids

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marilu

Reaction score
Hey on another thread here on this site I saw discussion about brown mbuna. that they were hybrids and basically garbage.
In my large tank, along with real pretty Mbuna are some that have turned brown with age. a couple look like brown yellow labs and some look like brown striped Red Zebras. Pseudotropheus.
Picture should not be necessary but are any Mbuna meant to be brown??[/size][/size]
I'm about ready to make a soda bottle fish catcher and freeze them.

Hey on another thread here on this site I saw discussion about brown mbuna. that they were hybrids and basically garbage.
In my large tank, along with real pretty Mbuna are some that have turned brown with age. a couple look like brown yellow labs and some look like brown striped Red Zebras. Pseudotropheus.
Picture should not be necessary but are any Mbuna meant to be brown??[/size][/size]
I'm about ready to make a soda bottle fish catcher and freeze them.

There aren't many that are actually brown, though some like Pseudotropheus lucerna end up brownish. With a couple of species, like Pseudotropheus Flavus, the female will end up like that brown 'striped zebra'.

A sub-dominant Maylandia Crabro can also appear brown and look like the fish you are describing.

Female metriaclima greshaki are also a two tone brown zebra stripe.

Most reactions

Back