Brown Algee

paddy2k7

Reaction score
there appears to be dark brown algae developing on my plants and ornaments :unsure: , can anyone tell what it might be and should i be worried

it will be much appreciated

paddy callaghan (uk)

Try Apple snails. They eat algae off plants and stuff like that... Is the tank in the sun?

P. bridgesii seems to be a good snail for that. They call them Mystery Snails.

Brown algae could be caused by some nutrient in the water such as phosphate or excess nitrate. Lack of light seems to contribute to it as well, because brown algea thrives in low light.

For me there is a fine line for lighting, too much and green algae develops, not enough and brown thrives.

Brown algae comes off easy, scrub it off before a water change. if its on ornaments or plastic plants soak then in a bleach water mix. rinse them really really well. Then soak them in a bucket with declorinated water. Then rinse them again to be sure.

Brown algae could be caused by some nutrient in the water such as phosphate or excess nitrate. Lack of light seems to contribute to it as well, because brown algea thrives in low light.

For me there is a fine line for lighting, too much and green algae develops, not enough and brown thrives.

Brown algae comes off easy, scrub it off before a water change. if its on ornaments or plastic plants soak then in a bleach water mix. rinse them really really well. Then soak them in a bucket with declorinated water. Then rinse them again to be sure.

so brown algae is because of not enough light??? im confused now - my lights are now on 5-6 hours. I have no green algae but lots of brown.

It sounds like you have brown diatoms. They are generally associated with immature systems and water containing sufficient levels of silica. I have heard it said that they grow in low light systems, but I have experienced them in medium and high light tanks.

Phophates and nitrates do not cause algae. They feed what algae is there, but they do not cause it. Put a glass of RO water on a window sill in the sunlight and see what happens. This experiment will demonstrate to you the greatest single algae trigger.

Diatoms are very easy to remove provided you keep your tank water stable for a period of time. I have matured tanks where patience has seen the diatoms disappear of their own accord. I am not sure whether this can be attributed to silica levels depleting after initially high levels.

One sure fire way of saying goodbye to diatoms is to add a small group of Otos.

Dave.

is silica just in my tap water? my water is fairly stable at the mo so I guess I should keep up with my maintenance as normal?
cheers

Most reactions

Back