Brown Algae

toc

Reaction score
Hi, I have a tank about 2 months old, has no live plants, a large conch shell, gravel, endlers and shrimp, has bright light in the hood of the tank, im getting fair bit of algae which i would say is brown in colour.

Ive been cleaning it of but it back pretty quickly, plus getting it off the large gravel will possibly prove impossible without scrubbing each part, Ive been reading about brown algae and it said it will disappear as the tank matures ? but it also said poor light causes it this is 100% no the case here the light is not only bright the brown algae is only growing where the light is getting too, under the shell and under the plants its clear..

shall I just wait it out?
should I add something to the filter ?
do more water changes?
add a mossball ?

none of the above?
something else?

:/

Post your water readings and detailed set-up information, please.

Is it diatom algae?

Hi toc,

Well, since you are under two months with the tank I guess it may be fishless cycling, although I can't know that without looking at your other threads. That would certainly supply the -other- of the critical ingredients that brown algae is looking for, lol. (But regardless of your type or status of cycling the following comments should apply.)

That's because the only two things that algae spores need are Ammonia and Light! Algae spores (a dormant state that allows the single celled plant to last a very long time without having the right conditions) are extremely widespread in natural fresh water bodies all over our planet, much like the bacteria that appear in our tanks. So the spores are nearly always there and waiting.

The "right conditions" for the spores to hatch out are very minimal. They need a tiny bit of ammonia (considerably less than our ammonia test kits can measure, so other than the first couple of weeks of tap water, our tanks provide enough even when ammonia measures zero ppm.) But most of all they need light, in conjunction with that trace ammonia, and even though they need considerably less light than vascular plants (our non-algae plants) they do respond differently to different lengths of light exposure.

For us freshwater tank keepers, there are two critical starting points in our algae prevention: either minimal light (if there are no plants) or 4 hours (if there are vascular plants present.) There is also the "power" (actually the brightness) of the light. So, just like we'd think, both quantity (of photons) and exposure time (hours) matter. Control of the tiny ammonia amounts is also a possibility but I'll mention that later.

First, always determine and note your lighting power as a baseline statistic of your tank in the aquarium notebook for that tank. If you have T8 (8/8ths = inch diameter) or T12 (12/8ths = 1.5 inch diameter) then an old rule of thumb tells you that less than 2 watts per US gallon will work well for dark-leaved "low-light" plants and above 2w/g will push you into "high-tech" planted tank techniques, perhaps. If you have T5 tubes (5/8ths = 5/8 inch diameter) or compact fluorescent or incandescent or metal halides then the rule of thumb changes and you can't use the same wattage as a rule of thumb. (I realize you don't have plants but all this is helpful background, so hang with me I hope :lol: )

OK, so now you know how much attention we pay to the power and hours of our lights! As a beginner with brown algae and no plants, your most powerful tool is light hours. Plants and humans are the only things that have serious need of a lot of light. The fish see better than we do and are used to water at night or in shadow, so they adapt much better than we think to darker waters. (-Most of our fish -do- appreciate a reasonable attempt at night/day simulation though, especially since science now shows that true blackness at night is a healthy thing, for both humans and fish!) Anyway, your solution (which of course I could have said in one sentence) is to not leave that light on nearly so much! In a tank without plants you should only turn it on when viewing and if you feel the need to leave it on for occasional viewing, you should limit it initially to the 4 to 6 hour range and see (over weeks) how it changes your algae situation. (of course in your situation the wattage/type is still important too)

In tanks with live plants, we can start at 4 hours and and gradually increase an hour or half hour at a time until we get algae, watching for at least a week or two in between changes (yes, its that slow to know, I think.) Also, its usually a more advance topic (meaning most beginners should focus on watts / US gallon and especially number of hours of lights on, at first) but using a chemical adsorbent like Purigen in a post-biological filtration stage can reduce trace ammonia enough to also combat algae, assuming you can afford large enough filtration beds and equipment.

Again, bottom line for you is simple, figure out brightness and plan a shorter "photoperiod" (single word for number of hours lights stay on.) You might also note that brown algae (diatoms) likes low-circulation areas, so will get thicker in tank corners and on leaves and gravel and other places where it is slightly out of the main flow. All algae is triggered by light and ammonia, but each of the many algae species may have other factors that are important when you are battling an outbreak.

~~waterdrop~~ (morning coffee mode :cool: )

I have had green algae blooming in the past, but after I added a UV Sterilizer it cleared up. Than I went to less lighting, and that was an even better solution because the fresh water plants still grew perfectly well with less light. I simply had too much light, but the algae was green, rather than brown, so maybe that is a different scenario, but a UV Sterilizer does clean up the algae. Now you also would need a water pump that you would submerge inside of the tank that would pump water into and through the UV Sterilizer which sits above the water level, and the water runs back into the tank after entering the sterilizer. It does work, and if you need a lot of light for some reason, than you need a UV Sterilizer.

Just started noticing brown algae as well (never ever saw brown before in my tanks), so thanks for that detailed post waterdrop.

I have had green algae blooming in the past, but after I added a UV Sterilizer it cleared up. Than I went to less lighting, and that was an even better solution because the fresh water plants still grew perfectly well with less light. I simply had too much light, but the algae was green, rather than brown, so maybe that is a different scenario, but a UV Sterilizer does clean up the algae. Now you also would need a water pump that you would submerge inside of the tank that would pump water into and through the UV Sterilizer which sits above the water level, and the water runs back into the tank after entering the sterilizer. It does work, and if you need a lot of light for some reason, than you need a UV Sterilizer.
It should be noted for beginners that UV units are used for very special cases/situations and not a normal piece of gear at all. The most common use is for "green water" situations (a type of green algae that looks like bacterial bloom cloudiness but with a distinct green cast. Member oldman47 has written up a very nice post about the UV topic in a recent post here in our beginner section.

An interesting thing, while we're talking about green and brown, is that light plus ammonia is the trigger for -all- types of algae, but once you have an outbreak of a particular type it needs to be correctly identified and then understood on an individual type basis. For instance, brown diatom algae likes to grow in low circulation areas, whereas BBA, black brush algae, likes to grow in the highest circulation areas such as the tips of leaves that reach out into high current. BBA also thrives on large changes in the CO2 level, such as when you do direct fill from the tap for your water changes.

A good source to read about the quirks of the different algae types is on Jamse's algae page linked in the PARC over in the planted section.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back