Brown Algae?! Should I Use Medicine...?

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
We have noticed some copper-colored stuff on the bubble wand, and one of the intake tubes of the power filter. It looks like a brown stain. I was told by someone at petsmart that its brown algae, and they recommended to use this product on the shelf thats called something like "take control algae", which is the only way to kill it. I always am skeptical of these products.

Should I use this? My understanding is that I should really limit my use of any medication, if use it at all, especially since it changes the osmotic stress of the water and does effect the fish, even if it says fish-safe. I want to make sure that this product is safe to use, or is there something else that can be done? Is the brown algae an indication of some problem? I would like to find out why it's happening, instead of just dumping some medication in my tank. Or maybe its normal?

Thanks.

How old is the tank?

It sounds like diatoms, every new tank gets a bloom of them. Just part of the maturation process; Perfectly normal. Just use an algae scraper and remove them from the glass. It should go away in a week or two.

Yep, "brown algae" are actually little diatoms, creatures that form a silicate shell. Just about every new tank gets an outbreak of them because of silicates leeching out of the glass. Supposedly they do especially well in low light tanks (which many new set-ups tend to be). If the tank is not new, "brown algae" can also be a symptom of silicates and phosphates in your tap water.

Generally brown algae comes off very easily...new and unused toothbrushes are great for cleaning the stuff of ornaments and filter intakes...while a flat plastic card (like a credit card you don't plan to use) will quickly scrap it off the glass. It should eventually go away on it's own (may take a few months), so just be patient and don't resort to the chems. Another option are fish called Oto.'s which feed on green and brown algae, but I don't recommend purchasing them until doing adequate research on how to properly care for them...they are not the easiest fish to provide for at times.

thanks so much for your replies. The tank is only, well, about a month old with fish in it I would say, we are in the process of cycling. I had it up and running for at least a month before that when I was trying to do the fishless cycle, but that didnt work for me. So I would say, one month, at least.

It's good to know that its not an indication of any problem, but it is unsightly and removing it would be great.
If I were to take off the intake tube of the power filter and try to clean as recommended with a toothbrush, should I just turn off the filter, or is it okay to simply remove the intake tube and keep it running?

Thanks again.

Well, you are correct about the brown algae. If I had remembered my readings, I would known too.
I thought it would be helpful for others on here to know about it, so here is what my book says,

"The very first 'algae' encountered by most aquarists is brown film or brown slime. It first appears as brownish or rust color specks on the glass, rocks, and so forth. As it progresses, it developes into a thin film. The first thing I want to say about brown slime is that it actually isn't algae at all. It is colonies of diatoms, which are microscopic organisms with silica skeletons.

The second thing I want to say about brown slime is don't worry about it. It is completely natural and is temporary. If it obstructs your view, wipe it away. Better yet, toss a pleco or some otocinclus in there, and they probably will clear it away within a day"

Credit: The complete idiot's guide to freshwater aquariums, Mike Wichkam, 1998.

Most reactions

Back