Brown Algae And Snails Died Within A Day

lastduke

Reaction score
I just started my fish only tank about a couple months, no amonia spike was abserved so far.
But the brown algae started to grow up after the cycle done. To get rid of the brown algae, I bought four Turbo Snails from LFS, the three of them never moved after I threw them into the water. One of them died in the next day.
I measured the water, there is no problem. the Nitrate is alittle bit high around 8-10ppm. The fishs are healthy with the water.

Could you please give me some hints, why the snails died such quickly, and what should I do before I buy the new snails.

If there is any other way to get rid of the grown algae?

one more question:
the sand is covered by the brown algae now, how can I wash the sand? any procedure to do that?:p

Some "Turbosnails" are actually colder-water fish and do not tolerate the warm summer temps of most home reefs, especially when first acclimated to a new tank. For that matter, many turbo snails are very sensetive to new tank acclimation procedures and often require hours worth of drip acclimation to be introduced safely.

I'd suggest trying Cerith or Trochus snails moving forward to combat the algae. And is it diatoms or cyanobacteria?

I'm pretty sure a Turbo snail isnt a fish Ski :rolleyes:

I don't like turbos just because they are there own construction site. I like mararitas and nassarius personally.

Thank you for you guys sugguestion. I am going to ask LFS to sell me other snails. Which one is the easiest one?

how to clean the sand tho? the water is turned cloudy today, it looks really muddy.

thanks.

The most common reason for cloudy water in marine tanks is pH problems as the result of poor gas exchange because of poor water flow. Try increasing your flowrate or point powerheads at the surface to increase surface agitation and increase gas exchange.

The sand depends on what's on it. Some snails will eat what's on the sand if its diatom algae. Other things will require vaccuming of the substrate with a very small python.

I give anything being added to the tank, about 3 hours to acclimatise. Get a bulldog clip, open the bag and clamp it to the side of the glass. After 20 minutes of temperature balancing, I then start adding a cup of water every 15 mins or so. Yeah it takes longer, but I've enjoyed much better survival rates by giving the creatures longer to adjust to water parameters.

Narrasrius and Trochus are great. Astrea are good too for eating algae, but they are a PITA for falling off stuff and having to be turned the right way up again!

Most reactions

Back