Bronze Cory Question...

Eclecticoldsod

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have never had these fish before (silly me!) but was recently given a small pair. They are quite wonderful, doing their synchronised swimming from one side of my four foot community tank to the other – but they have no interest in the bottom substrate layer, rarely venturing down from just below the water surface. I thought they were bottom dwellers – is this behaviour odd?
Stats are OK, all the other fish do not avoid the lower regions, and they are far to small to be considering breeding. So why please..?

hi Eclecticoldsod

if you have recently just got them they will just be settleling in and checking there new inviroment out and maybe still a bit stressed.
it is best to keep them in groups of about 6 or more as they prefaire larger groups ,do they have any were to hide in the tank

have you got a air pump for the tank, as the water could be low in oxygen levels, or it could just be them getting settled

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that an air pump provided minimal O2 to the overall amount in the water and it was surface agitation that provided much more. Am I missing something here?

Hi Drewry. Yes they are new, and perhaps still stressed, but seem to be having the time of their lives. I do intend to get a few more to make a full shoal, which may help.
Please don't ask about hiding places! My community tank has them in abundance – bog wood caves; specially drilled out tufa rock caves; specially glue-together slate caves; and assorted flower pot caves. Not one of 'em gets any use at all!
My blue lobster (cray) dug out a huge cavern in the substrate under the biggest bit of tufa rock [right on top of the UGF], which he happily shares with two kribs, three small electric yellows, some large swordtails, plus anyone else seeking shelter- it's like a bleedin' doss house on a Saturday night down there! And never a nipped fin or tail in the morning.

Richchappy, well aerated, it already is. Everyone else is happy at lower levels, except them (apart from feeding time, when everyone but the proud angles will go down on your substrate..!)

Corys should not be housed with Kribs--Ever!

Please take them back or get a peaceful community tank for them. I am not sure about the Crayfish, but they can do damage. Corys are defensless little creatures that have no clue about territories. They should be kept with non or only mildly aggressive fish. Possibly an appisto family, but never, ever Kribs or other Africans or Oscars and other larger aggressive SA Cichlids!

This is why they are extra stressed. They know they are in an inhospitable environment.

:flex:
There is no discussion about this, eclecticoldsod. It is a tragedy waiting to happen! :crazy: :hyper: :shout:

Cory_Dad, I have heard the same about surface aggitation. Although I always feel I have done a good thing when I add an airr stone or wand. I think maybe the Corys can get extra air by swimming in the bubbles????? But I am just ruminating.

How big is this tank and how long have you had all these fish together?
I am really surprised the corys are still alive. :blink:

Hi, sorry to be away so long. The tank is 4 foot x 15 inches x 15 inches, and heavily planted with lots of hiding places. The two little corys are not so little any more, having put on nearly half-an-inch since they arrived. They are everywhere now – all over the tank, and appear very happy, although I have not found them any companions yet. The tank has been set up for around 6 months with the corys being the latest addition about four weeks ago.
The two kribs are are very peaceful at the moment, never showing any signs of aggression to their tank mates (they are around three inch at the moment) but I take on board what you say, Jollysue, and will keep the situation under review...

OK, ecleticoldsod. Kribs are expected to get very aggressive when they reach breeding maturity. Your Corys will be much happier in a less threatening tank. You will never know the full joy of Cory ownership if they are kept in a tank with aggressive fish--assuming they live.

Please have a back up plan, and don't add more Corys. You can keep a nice group of 5 or 6 Corys in a 10 gallon or 2 or 3 in a 5 gallon.

Keep us updated on how it goes. Many have tried this combination to their sorrow. But I will leave it at that now.

Most reactions

Back