Broken Solenoid -- Help?

newmag1659

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I decided to get my CO2 system back up and running after moving a while back and come to find the solenoid completely snapped off the regulator. When I open the valve, you can hear and feel CO2 hissing out of it, so much so that none of it gets to the bubble counter.

I've tried to fill where it broke off with super glue which was evidently a bad idea since it didn't do anything except get super glue all over my hands.

Do I have to buy a whole new set up? Or is there a way for me to get rid of the solenoid altogether and just manually control when the CO2 is on and off?

Thanks!

Depending on the type and brand of regulator you can get replacement solenoids. I don't exactly know how a CO2 regulator is "plumbed" but if you have gas coming out the issue might be larger than the solenoid. On other types of solenoid controlled valves the solenoid acts against a sealed diaphragm so no gas should be escaping.

I might just have to get a whole new regulator, the one I have is cheap anyway. Any recommendations for a 20lb CO2 tank?

Do you have exotic plants? Most plants have no need for CO2. It MAY turn out that you can save some time and money by not using the CO2 at all.
Yes, but I won't for long if I don't get the CO2 figured out

I decided to get my CO2 system back up and running after moving a while back and come to find the solenoid completely snapped off the regulator. When I open the valve, you can hear and feel CO2 hissing out of it, so much so that none of it gets to the bubble counter.

I've tried to fill where it broke off with super glue which was evidently a bad idea since it didn't do anything except get super glue all over my hands.

Do I have to buy a whole new set up? Or is there a way for me to get rid of the solenoid altogether and just manually control when the CO2 is on and off?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Here are pictures in case anyone can tell me whether to replace the whole thing or find out how to just replace the solenoid. The blue stuff is putty because I was dumb and thought that would stop a leak (it doesn’t lol)
74231940437__7307AF2A-3B1F-40D0-B7A9-C53A96D8E7F7.jpeg
74232303631__C708B8D3-5DCE-40A4-B79A-8C053D8DB031.jpeg
74231941275__D403B33A-132F-4772-985E-69E2678BB557.jpeg

Sorry no. I don't use CO2 my comment comes from working with pressurized gasses and regulators in the past for a previous job. A broken solenoid should not cause a gas leak with most designs but from your description the regulator is leaking from around the solenoid fittings.

Most reactions

Back