Broken filter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon tank with a filter that came with it, it has worked fine for over a year and around 4am a couple of nights ago I was randomly awoken and heard a very loud electricity/sparking sort of noise. When I went to investigate I found that my filter was no longer working. Have replaced the fuse to no avail, and have took it out to check it over to see if there is any obvious damage to the motor and nothing. Does anybody know what could be causing this not to work? Also the plug sockets do work as it is an extension board with the heater and light on which work fine, have tried rearranging the plugs to see if its a problem with the specific part where it was plugged in and other appliances have no problem receiving power from them.

Have you tried taking the filter apart and cleaning the impeller? If it is an electrical problem, that is beyond me. But if my filters jam up or slow down, I have found just taking the filter apart and cleaning the intake and impeller(once had a pebble stuck in it) might help.

Have you tried taking the filter apart and cleaning the impeller? If it is an electrical problem, that is beyond me. But if my filters jam up or slow down, I have found just taking the filter apart and cleaning the intake and impeller(once had a pebble stuck in it) might help.
I have took it apart and played around with it and not noticed anything, I am starting to think its likely an electrical issue instead. Hopefully someone can advise as I do not have a clue lol

Sounds like the motor burnt out. If it did, then throw it away and get a new filter. Check the warranty on the filter first though because most power filters have a 2 or 3 year warranty.

In the mean time, wash the filter media in a bucket of tank water and put the filter media in the tank.

Don't feed the fish for a few days. If it's going to take a week or more to get a replacement filter, only feed the fish once every few days and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate 4-8 hours after feeding.

If you have live plants in the tank, increase the lighting times to 14-16 hours per day to encourage the plants and algae. They will help keep the water cleaner. You can reduce lighting times after you get the new filter.

Most reactions

Back