Bristleworms- Predators?

fiskkeeperpro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought some hermits yesterday and i put some food in the tank 2day and a tube worm came out of a hole, ive never seen this before with the rock being in the tank for 5 weeks lol. Well i came home from school 2day and i saw the worm eating a hermit crab, i still have my 2 i bought yesterday alive but this hermit has appeared from nowhere, ive taken the worm out and hes in a pot of salt water, is it ok 2 release him back into the tank or will he pose a threat?

I cant get any pics of him as my dad took the digi camera 2 america but he is grey with white pieces of fluff (or so it looks like) on the sides of him., one end is thick and the other is thin, and they both have red edges at the ends. Hope this helps

Sounds like the hermits you bought molted (as they often do when switching tanks) and the tube worm ate the molt ;)

Yeah, the shed skins will look just like the original crab, all except for the back carapace, that's usually missing. Every week Id find a couple of "dead" crabs.. then I learned it was the molts. You'll probably see the missing crab in a few days. :good:

thx guys, now i kno my bristle worm is not a predator, the missing crab has just come out fom a hole in the rock, the purple shell blended in great lol.
Te worm has now been released back into the tank.

Most reactions

Back