bristlenose or peppermint

cujo

Reaction score
My 50gal tank is almost fully cycled. What is the better plec/cat the bristlenose or the peppermint or can they both be kept together. :dunno:

WOW you're considering a peppermint huh? They're really rare and expensive! Great fish though . . .

Hey cujo;

I have both (if you look at my sig). They all do just fine. The bristlenose actually does an amazing job in keeping my tank clean, while the peppermint looks pretty.
They need a good piece of bogwood.
As tear-scar said, if you can get your hands on one, do it, they are rare and worth the money. I paid $30 Canadian. :blink:
If you can do both, do it but make sure that tank is certainly stable because peppermints are sensitive.

Thanks for input. My lfs has only a couple of peppermints, but a bunch of brislenone. I may just get two brislenoses if the peppermints are gone. :D

why is it that peppermints are so much? my lfs has the same amount of them in a tank as bristle nose's but they want $40 for a 3cm catfish. Also how big do they get?

They get to be 7" long. I've been told they are so expensive is because they are supposed to be new. My question is how can they be new? You mean to say they are newly ound I think. I paid $60 Cdn for a medusa head pleco and if ever get the chance will do it again.
Just have to buy another tank.....
;)

Could be newly bred....I know a bit more about herps than fish, and there are new python and gecko colorations and stuff popping up all the time...too bad they're all so expensive... :/

It looks a bit similar to "gold nedget" pleco, except for the color of the spots. How about these guys?

Mate if you got the money, Go buy one. I had 2 (1 was 4" the other 5").
2cm peppermint sell for bout 60 bucks. they r very exspencive ($60 AUS)

Peppermints (L031's and a few others) cost between £15 and £20 in the UK depending on size...

Bristles depending on type, are about £3.50 for a common or £15 for the medusa's etc.

they will be fine in a 55 together, neither will get to much more than 6" and will be fine if they have their own hiding places :)

Bristles depending on type, are about £3.50 for a common or £15 for the medusa's etc.
By me, the 2" bristlenose's are about £8.50, and the 4" ones are about £15-£18.00

Im planing on geting the 2" ones :p, because you get to see them grow lots, and they will live longer if the tanks fine and there fed, ALSO there lots cheaper lmao.

corrosive said:
By me, the 2" bristlenose's are about £8.50, and the 4" ones are about £15-£18.00

Im planing on geting the 2" ones :p, because you get to see them grow lots, and they will live longer if the tanks fine and there fed, ALSO there lots cheaper lmao.
£3.50 will get one a little more than 1 inch...

If you fancy a drive you can have (eg for free) a couple of our fry - about 1 inch themselves.

I paid £2 for my bristlenose! :D He was only about 1/2 an inch though! They're very good at keeping the tank clean, id definately get one of those!! Well, id get both if they'll live together ok and you can get hold of a peppermint!!

Jess

smithrc said:
corrosive said:

£3.50 will get one a little more than 1 inch...

If you fancy a drive you can have (eg for free) a couple of our fry - about 1 inch themselves.
Oh a freebie, i wouldnt say no, but you live to far away i think :p, my mum wont want to travel anyhow, I live in gloucester is there a big distance? :unsure:

Most reactions

Back