Brine Shrimp!

moohug4

Reaction score
How do i take care of brine shrimp? And what do i feed them?

I found a decent article on this subject:

Since you will be accessing your Grow Out Container quite often, place it in an easily accessible location (close to your Brine Shrimp Hatchery would probably be best). Fill the container with saltwater at an SG of 1.018.

Drop one or more airstones into the container. The water should maintain a good circulation.

Rinse your harvested baby Brine Shrimp with clean saltwater and release them in your Grow Out Container.

Feeding Your Brine Shrimp

For maximum results, your Brine Shrimp should have food available 24/7. At the same time, you don't want to flood the container with so much food that the shrimp can't consume it all, allowing it to settle to the bottom of the container and starting to decompose. Overfeeding will only add to your container maintenance.

So how often and how much should you feed? Of course, it depends on the size of your Grow Out Container and your Brine Shrimp size and population. To begin with, when you have a small population of small Brine Shrimp in your container, it won't take much. A good "rule of thumb" is to feed just enough of the mixture to make the container water slightly cloudy. Keep an eye on the water and, when it appears to be clear (most or almost all of the food having been consumed), add some more food. Over time, you will know how much and how often to add food to the container.

As you add more and more shrimp to your Grow Out Container (from the daily hatchings) you will need to feed more, more often.

Feeding too much will add to your maintenance woes, while feeding too little will not allow the Brine Shrimp to grow at their optimum rate. It is sort of a "feel" thing, which you will figure out in a short period of time.

Grow Out Container Maintenance

Question:
Why have 2 Grow Out Containers?

Answer:
Easy... To make Container maintenance a lot easier.

When the water in your 1st container (the one with the baby Brine Shrimp) gets to the "gucky" stage (debris on the bottom, slime on the sides and yucky foam on the surface), it's time for a container change.

Turn off the air supply to your container and allow about 15 minutes for the debris to settle to the bottom and the Brine Shrimp to rise to the surface.

Fill your second container with new, clean saltwater. With a fine mesh net, scoop the Brine Shrimp out of the 1st container and put them in the new container. Turn the air supply to the new container on, feed the shrimp and clean the 1st container in preparation for the next maintenance cycle.

If you are not terribly over feeding your shrimp, you should be able to get by with only a weekly container maintenance.

That's it!! Not all that hard, really.

Good luck with your new Brine Shrimp Factory.

To make your own food, here is a recipie:

I mix one teaspoon of baby food pureed sweet potatoes and one teaspoon of baby food peas into one cup of water. I usually add a drop of liquid vitamin supplement, and often for good measure, I'll add a small amount of some fatty acid enrichment mixture such as Super Selco. Then I put it all in a small resealable bottle like the kind used for soda or water and shake well.

Source: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diyfeedersfoods/a/aabrineshrimpgr.htm

I found a decent article on this subject:

Since you will be accessing your Grow Out Container quite often, place it in an easily accessible location (close to your Brine Shrimp Hatchery would probably be best). Fill the container with saltwater at an SG of 1.018.

Drop one or more airstones into the container. The water should maintain a good circulation.

Rinse your harvested baby Brine Shrimp with clean saltwater and release them in your Grow Out Container.

Feeding Your Brine Shrimp

For maximum results, your Brine Shrimp should have food available 24/7. At the same time, you don't want to flood the container with so much food that the shrimp can't consume it all, allowing it to settle to the bottom of the container and starting to decompose. Overfeeding will only add to your container maintenance.

So how often and how much should you feed? Of course, it depends on the size of your Grow Out Container and your Brine Shrimp size and population. To begin with, when you have a small population of small Brine Shrimp in your container, it won't take much. A good "rule of thumb" is to feed just enough of the mixture to make the container water slightly cloudy. Keep an eye on the water and, when it appears to be clear (most or almost all of the food having been consumed), add some more food. Over time, you will know how much and how often to add food to the container.

As you add more and more shrimp to your Grow Out Container (from the daily hatchings) you will need to feed more, more often.

Feeding too much will add to your maintenance woes, while feeding too little will not allow the Brine Shrimp to grow at their optimum rate. It is sort of a "feel" thing, which you will figure out in a short period of time.

Grow Out Container Maintenance

Question:
Why have 2 Grow Out Containers?

Answer:
Easy... To make Container maintenance a lot easier.

When the water in your 1st container (the one with the baby Brine Shrimp) gets to the "gucky" stage (debris on the bottom, slime on the sides and yucky foam on the surface), it's time for a container change.

Turn off the air supply to your container and allow about 15 minutes for the debris to settle to the bottom and the Brine Shrimp to rise to the surface.

Fill your second container with new, clean saltwater. With a fine mesh net, scoop the Brine Shrimp out of the 1st container and put them in the new container. Turn the air supply to the new container on, feed the shrimp and clean the 1st container in preparation for the next maintenance cycle.

If you are not terribly over feeding your shrimp, you should be able to get by with only a weekly container maintenance.

That's it!! Not all that hard, really.

Good luck with your new Brine Shrimp Factory.

To make your own food, here is a recipie:

I mix one teaspoon of baby food pureed sweet potatoes and one teaspoon of baby food peas into one cup of water. I usually add a drop of liquid vitamin supplement, and often for good measure, I'll add a small amount of some fatty acid enrichment mixture such as Super Selco. Then I put it all in a small resealable bottle like the kind used for soda or water and shake well.

Source: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diyfeedersfoods/a/aabrineshrimpgr.htm
sounds good :good:

Most reactions

Back