Brine Shrimp

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nope, I am lazy, I bought one! It was like $12, well worth my saving the time to do it myself, and since it was for my daughter's science experiment it came with directions and everything necessary to hatch so she was able to do it herself.

Nope, I am lazy, I bought one! It was like $12, well worth my saving the time to do it myself, and since it was for my daughter's science experiment it came with directions and everything necessary to hatch so she was able to do it herself.

Was it hard or fairly easy thats probably what I will get.

Take a 2 liter plastic bottle, cut around 3 inches off the bottom. With the cap on, invert the top portion, place it in the bottom portion. Get a lamp, & any enclosed box or area to keep the temperature around 80-82F. Fill the cut off bottle with water, add salt, a little baking soda or epsom salt, and brine shrimp eggs, along with an air supply.

Here's a link to a pic of the bottle idea, along with a hatchery box I built.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=136880

The cut off bottle is good for around 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs. I have a gallon jar in there now, it's big enough for 2. I have a couple of angel spawns growing out, I need that sort of thing. All you need is an enclosed area big enough to contain the light, bottle, & heat.

The kit was very easy...comes with a black box and a catch container for the top. We substituted salt water for the fresh water recommended in the directions so that she could transfer them to another container to grow out. Once the science experiment is done the kit will be able to be used to catch them again into fresh water and they will be ready to feed to my fish...Missy can't wait!

Most reactions

Back