Breeding Traps

C4ARL

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If you have one of them silly breeding traps for you females to give birth in the best advise I can give you is don’t use it there as been no planning involved in the making of them
First thing that comes to mind is there is no room for you fish to swim around
What about when you feed the fish in there any food that is not eaten will soon rot
What about water movement do you want to stand there all day tipping tank water into the top so the fish gets fresh filtered water
Best one is this thing is at top of your tank near the light have you ever put your hand on the light to see what heat it gives off put a thermometer into one and see the difference when the light as been on a while
If you have got through this far with one of these thing and she as given birth to the fry is there enough room for them grow
I know a lot of you have had good results with them but if you used different ways you will get better results

Absoloute garbage, this has been brought up before.

Breeding traps are fine, if used properly.

1. The light is usually set back in the tank and not all the way across the tank, therefore you put the trap at front corners of the tank...
2. If you have food rotting away in the trap, thats just stupidity of the keeper.
3. traps have slits in the side ( lift trap gently and it disturbs muck in the bottom and flows out)
4. Modern traps have a built in airflow system that a airline tube connects to (buy one)

5. Fish should be put in them and lights outed to mimimze stress, 48 hours is the most u should leave them in for, if the fish is ready to give birth, 90% of the times they dont even try to struglle to get out. this also helps them being harrased by other males whilst giving birth and they have thier own space to do so.

6. Traps are made now a days a decent size, its up to the keeper to get a good size one.

Please dont say stupid things like this, it misleads many people.

Absoloute garbage, this has been brought up before.

Breeding traps are fine, if used properly.

1. The light is usually set back in the tank and not all the way across the tank, therefore you put the trap at front corners of the tank...
2. If you have food rotting away in the trap, thats just stupidity of the keeper.
3. traps have slits in the side ( lift trap gently and it disturbs muck in the bottom and flows out)
4. Modern traps have a built in airflow system that a airline tube connects to (buy one)

5. Fish should be put in them and lights outed to mimimze stress, 48 hours is the most u should leave them in for, if the fish is ready to give birth, 90% of the times they dont even try to struglle to get out. this also helps them being harrased by other males whilst giving birth and they have thier own space to do so.

6. Traps are made now a days a decent size, its up to the keeper to get a good size one.

Please dont say stupid things like this, it misleads many people.

Well said :good:

And also, click this and see how breeding traps save many fry lives... CLICK HERE
Very interesting post and nice clear photos
I still don’t see how a tiny box has saved the lives of the fry its clear to see you have food in the trap that is 3 times larger than the fry this will be rotting down nicely
How long do you intend to keep them in the trap ?
In my opinion its far more easy to set up a birthing tank / hospital tank were the female can spend more time init to give birth and get back into tip top condition before going back into the main tank as you say she dose not want to be in the trap for more than 48 hours so what do you do with her after she has given birth
You must put her back into a tank that has males in so she will get harassed as you know when a female as given birth they attract the males
I am not saying your way is wrong I am saying there is better ways for your fish

you have food in the trap that is 3 times larger than the fry this will be rotting down nicely

Did you NOT read this??

Very interesting post and nice clear photos
I still don't see how a tiny box has saved the lives of the fry its clear to see
How long do you intend to keep them in the trap ?
In my opinion its far more easy to set up a birthing tank / hospital tank were the female can spend more time init to give birth and get back into tip top condition before going back into the main tank as you say she dose not want to be in the trap for more than 48 hours so what do you do with her after she has given birth
You must put her back into a tank that has males in so she will get harassed as you know when a female as given birth they attract the males
I am not saying your way is wrong I am saying there is better ways for your fish

How this TINY? its not tiny for a start, and how does it save lives? surely you aint that stupid.... If them fry was to be born in the main part of the tank, they would be eaten within minutes, even though its heavily planted, they would be hunted down by some of my fish.

The breeding traps in that thread had very tiny amounts of food in, it had not been in there long and as stated above, its easy to get out..

You are not taking in to consideration that many people do not have the room or money, space etc to setup another tank and therefore need things like traps..

You say that a breeding tank to move the female to is much better, but is it really? when a fish is moved to a new tank with diffrent water parameters (even the slightest) can be more stressfull for the fish as it adapts to it, where breeding traps are in the water its use to.

People who see the negatives to breeding traps are people who simply dont use them properly (people to eager to put pregnant fish in them)...

After a female has given birth, i feed her up a bit to strenghen her as they get weak. then i release them back in to the main tank, if she has not dropped the fry after 48 hours, i put her back in the main tank and keep a close eye on her.

My fry are only in the breeding trap for a maximum of 2 days before they are moved to the 3ft growout tank, so rotting food is not a issue anyways, but im lucky i have room to be able to do this.

before i had the other tank i had to use a net for goldfish fry that i managed to catch in the net when they had hatched from their eggs - it's not as easy to tell when egg barers fry are going to hatch or if you even have any fertilized eggs so i found a net a life saver for my goldfish fry
i would also be using a hatcher for my live bearer fry but luckily i have a shrimp tank that they are now in - though they were caught and put into the net when they were first born for the first few hours then transferred over into the shrimp tank by laying the net in there and letting them swim out .

a lot of people dont like using the survival of the fittest technique with fish and its NOT any good unless you have a heavilly planted tank with lots of floating plants for the fry to hide in they also cannot afford , or haven't got the room for more tanks , So surely a breeding trap is the best way to ensure your fry live and arent hunted down food - which even if they get away causes them great stress .

I will be doing survival of the fittest in time but at the moment my tank isn't planted heavily enough IMO even though i found 6 fry happily living in the cobomba(or however you spell it) yesterday and they had been in there for 5 days and were the same size as the fry in the shrimp tank .

The net always had water movement in it by using an airstone (variable speed pump) there was also no rotting food as the fry were only fed what they would eat . Light wasn't a problem either as i used plants for cover in the net
(hope you get what i'm saying my MS confuses my sometimes typing )

to solve all this buy a seperate fry tank. and c4arl 5teady is the man and he knows his stuff. he helps us all on breeding live bearers with his pinned topic, more than you ever will so basically whats the point in causing soo much confusion

to solve all this buy a seperate fry tank. and c4arl 5teady is the man and he knows his stuff. he helps us all on breeding live bearers with his pinned topic, more than you ever will so basically whats the point in causing soo much confusion
So sorry I thought this were a forum for members to give there opinion did not realise its only for one or two to say how they do things

i had a breeding trap in 1 of my tanks. about a week ago i came in to check on the babies and the tank had tipped :angry: -all the babies were eaten :shout: . 2 days ago i brought and set up a seperate tnak for my babies.

you have pretty much come on here dictating that they are useless. i personally have been fine with them but now have a small fry tank. if you explained whay you were upset about them then fair enough. people might be more sympathetic. but instead you will have confused people what to do.

you have pretty much come on here dictating that they are useless. i personally have been fine with them but now have a small fry tank. if you explained whay you were upset about them then fair enough. people might be more sympathetic. but instead you will have confused people what to do.

totally agree with you on that if i had no experience with nets/traps before now i would be totally confused after reading what he put and thinking i was harming my fish by putting it in there .
As far as i see as long as you are sensible and dont leave the fish in the trap for more than 48 hours and have the large trap - then your fish will not suffer and you will have lots of alive fry .

5teady's pinned topics and replies to my posts have been extremely helpful and did save the life of my baby platties cos if i hadnt known what to look for (the white thing at the back) then i wouldn't have kept an eye on the tank and i'm sure most of the babies would have been eaten by the morning

i had a breeding trap in 1 of my tanks. about a week ago i came in to check on the babies and the tank had tipped :angry: -all the babies were eaten :shout: . 2 days ago i brought and set up a seperate tnak for my babies.

Again this can be avoided by using the good traps that have suctions ;)

Crikey, these posts go round and round in circles.

As always, if you like traps then use them; if you don't then get a separate tank. A separate tank is better, but it is a slippery slope from 1 separate tank to 100 separate tanks and some people do not have the time, means, permission or inclination to set up separate tanks.

If you are inclined to use breeding traps, then listen to Steady, if you are inclined not to use breeding traps then don't.

Everyone is right!!! It isn't even worthy of a debate. :good:

Most reactions

Back