Breeding.. Second Attempt!

WOW thats alot of tails im not even going to try counting them but by the looks of things id say Bettaman is close :rofl: :rofl:

Yaaay, congrats on the fry!! I'll bet you're excited! :D

:lol: Bettaman! :p Theres actually more than shown in that pic as the male extended his nest!! It was obviously too small for all of his babies! :D Im going to leave him in with them and see how well that method works..

Oooh, and you can all have one if they survive!! If you're in the UK of course ;) :p

Im recently attemped to breed my Delta for first time like a week ago. It went all wrong after i removed the female. He completly ignored the eggs . And at one piont ate them. One egg that was pressed up against the glass hatched and the fry had his little tail out. But a while later he was gone so i guess he got eaten. Can i ask how your first spawn went wrong? Maybe if the same thing happen to you my delta might do good this time like yours. And if it was the same what did you do diffrent. Thnks :D

I actually found that this male was a very good dad. Last time i left him in until the fry had been swimming for about 2 days i think then removed him. They did fine for about 2 weeks, were growning and eating very well, then they literally all disappeared overnight. I dont know exactly what could have caused it, im wondering if maybe we had a powercut so the heat dropped right down or something, but im not sure. I only have one remaining from that spawn.

Im going to leave the male in for a couple of weeks this time just to see if it helps at all...

hi jessica congrats on the kiddys!! out of intrest could you post a picture of your one baby from your first breeding attempt!!!???

good luck!!

Lol Seahorse! Nah, im not sure if im even going to ship them to people in the UK, still haven't decided.. But i dont think i would risk sending them to another country! :p

emmab2001 - The one baby from my first spawn is less than 4 weeks old and still very tiny so it doesn't look like much at all! Here's a pic taken about a week ago i think, so he'd have been just under 3 weeks. Sorry about the quality of the pic :/

Attachments

• fry2_280605.jpg
    fry2_280605.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 34
Bettaman said:
sorry to hear the first attempt went wrong, lets hpe this one goes better, and nothing wrong with leaving him in but just dont panic if you see what you think is him eating the fry he will move them around and make sure you feed him as normal with blood worms......he will not be tempted to have a snack that way......... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: kep us posted
Even though you warned me and told me not to panic i still managed to!! I was just having a look in the tank to see how many babies i could spot as they're now swimming aorund very well and dad came over and took the baby who was right at the front of the glass (saying hi to me i think! :D ) in his mouth and swam away! I thought h'ed eaten it so was just about to get dad out and send him to bed with no bloodworms :lol: Then i saw him spit baby back out into the bubblenest!! He then did that with all of the babies who had strayed from the bubblenest! I think he's having a hard time getting them to do what he tells them!! :lol:

He's being such a good dad though!!! I was watching for about half an hour (its fascinating watching him move his babies, im not a complete weirdo, honest! ;) ) and he spent all of that time fussing over them and making sure they were all where he wanted them!! :D I tried to get some pics of the babies but after dad saw the camera flash on the first pic, every other one i tried to take was ruined by a big black and gold fishy flaring at me :rolleyes:

I did manage to get this one of dad with a fry in his mouth! You cant actually see the baby unfortunately but it is there!lol He spat it out a few seconds later :)

Oooh, and if anyone can suggest anything to clean to bottom of that tank it'd be great :/ Dad killed my apple snail this morning so im not sure what else to put in there and its getting dirty already :unsure:

Attachments

• dad_with_fry_in_mouth_050705.jpg
    dad_with_fry_in_mouth_050705.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 26
I'd just try another apple snail or maybe some trumpet snails to clean the bottom... they don't really "clean" it either, they just uh.... recycle it :lol:
Their poo is apparently easier for infurosia to use than the food they've eaten, though, so in that sense they are of benefit. Most bottom-feeding fish would happily gobble up a fry, so snails are about your best bet because they're easy for the fry to escape :)

I can't wait to see what those fry turn out like!!! With parents like that, they can't help but be gorgeous :hey:

Jessica13 said:
Bettaman said:
sorry to hear the first attempt went wrong, lets hpe this one goes better, and nothing wrong with leaving him in but just dont panic if you see what you think is him eating the fry he will move them around and make sure you feed him as normal with blood worms......he will not be tempted to have a snack that way......... :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: kep us posted
Even though you warned me and told me not to panic i still managed to!! I was just having a look in the tank to see how many babies i could spot as they're now swimming aorund very well and dad came over and took the baby who was right at the front of the glass (saying hi to me i think! :D ) in his mouth and swam away! I thought h'ed eaten it so was just about to get dad out and send him to bed with no bloodworms :lol: Then i saw him spit baby back out into the bubblenest!! He then did that with all of the babies who had strayed from the bubblenest! I think he's having a hard time getting them to do what he tells them!! :lol:

He's being such a good dad though!!! I was watching for about half an hour (its fascinating watching him move his babies, im not a complete weirdo, honest! ;) ) and he spent all of that time fussing over them and making sure they were all where he wanted them!! :D I tried to get some pics of the babies but after dad saw the camera flash on the first pic, every other one i tried to take was ruined by a big black and gold fishy flaring at me :rolleyes:

I did manage to get this one of dad with a fry in his mouth! You cant actually see the baby unfortunately but it is there!lol He spat it out a few seconds later :)

Oooh, and if anyone can suggest anything to clean to bottom of that tank it'd be great :/ Dad killed my apple snail this morning so im not sure what else to put in there and its getting dirty already :unsure:
yes i have a new spawn and went to feed dad bloodworm's to him and hes saw the bloodworm and i see him spit the babies out he had be collecting to move and have his feed so yes he will look after them for you just don't disturb him two much and wait till 20 days before cleaning the tank then just use a sponge with scourer to gently wipe the bottom and siphon it with dad in all the fry should be at the top of the tank so makes it easy............. :rofl: :rofl:

Most reactions

Back