Breeding Quessie

CraigBaines

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Stupid really.... but can you mate any coloured betters together?

Say a red and a blue or is it better to stick to simular colours?

I ask because of somthing i read on anouther post trew me abit, just woundered?

Thanks, Craig

you can breed any color/tail type mix you want! That's the joy of breeding bettas. Just make shure you have room 4 all the fry.

you can breed any color/tail type mix you want! That's the joy of breeding bettas. Just make shure you have room 4 all the fry.

kool thanks, Just anouther tought to anyone who has bread these fish in the past, are there any tips you could give to try and keep the number of fry down?

I dont know if its possible, but if i do eventually give it ago it's just for the enjoyment of doing it, not for any sort of profet, so i dont want lots of them lying around homeless lol, Just a couple would be great! :D

Bettatalk.com will help you as far as learning the breeding process and a lot of other information.

You can cull some of the fry.... but it's pretty controversial around here. I'm not sure there are any other methods, but maybe someone with more experience than me can chime in.

If you want more information look around the internet and search for topics about betta genetics as this will help you out. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve from your breeding. If just some nice fish you can call your own, who cares. If however you are looking to develop certain characteristics in the offspring then the choice of mother and father becomes very important.

I like to make a choice based on what I am trying to develop, create an estimate of what I think will happen (hypothesis), and then judge the success of the brood afterwards.

I think you're quite new to this though so you should focus more on developing your breeding set up, actually breeding the fish and then raising fry.

Get the basics under your belt first.

Chris

If you want more information look around the internet and search for topics about betta genetics as this will help you out. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve from your breeding. If just some nice fish you can call your own, who cares. If however you are looking to develop certain characteristics in the offspring then the choice of mother and father becomes very important.

I like to make a choice based on what I am trying to develop, create an estimate of what I think will happen (hypothesis), and then judge the success of the brood afterwards.

I think you're quite new to this though so you should focus more on developing your breeding set up, actually breeding the fish and then raising fry.

Get the basics under your belt first.

Chris

Nope i couldnt care less how the fish turn out, just fansy having ago at it, like i asked is there anyway to keep the fry numbers low? I ask because i havnt read anything on the internet telling me this, i have researched and im just clearing a few questions i was left woundering. Thanks

Fair enough, good for you. You could try using a smaller female to limit fry or just cull the fry as you go along selecting for size initially and then starting to look at things such as colour and finnage later on. If you want to raise healthy fish culling is necessary to allow the better fish in any brood to reach their potential.

the smaller females wont make a difference in the reduction of fry produced, if anything you get a lot thrive due to her being extremely fertile, Culling is not a way to make sure that all the fish reach potential either, food and good water parameters are the only factor in this issue.

A simple way to control the amount of fry is to leave the male in a couple of days longer than you would normally, make sure you have some plants in the tank so that the fry will have chance to hide from him, this will reduce your numbers alot as he may well eat most of them, this is the method I use and it works, each spawn gives me an amount of about 20 surviving fry.

Just to clarify I didn't say culling was "the" way to make fish reach their potential but it is necessary to help the better fish to do so. You've personally seen my fry so should know my ability to raise decent fish!

Just to clarify I didn't say culling was "the" way to make fish reach their potential but it is necessary to help the better fish to do so. You've personally seen my fry so should know my ability to raise decent fish!

I'm not at all disputing the quality of your fish Kudoo as some of the adults are from me anyway, I just do not understand how culling would make the better bettas reach potential as at some point all will need to be housed seperately in order for them to reach their potential, its more of a case that space is limited to why the culling and nothing to do with the quality of the others.

Thanks for the advice guys, dont supose you could give me a quick summary of what Culling is haha? havnt read anything about it :/

Thanks for the advice guys, dont supose you could give me a quick summary of what Culling is haha? havnt read anything about it :/
culling is the need to kill unwanted fry that are either an excess number, deformed, or not the required conclusion, this is usually done by feeding them to larger fish but some physically cull them.

Most reactions

Back