Breeding Problems

fredbygrace

Reaction score
I have a beautiful yellow pk male that I have tried breeding with two different females and he just seems incompetent! this second time, he refused to build a bubblenest and left 200 eggs just laying on the floor of the tank! :angry: he does try spitting them on the surface but they don't stick cause there's nothing there! yesterday my 7 year old and I laughed for a long time because he repeatedly try to squeeze his female partner and he would miss her and just float there all curled up by himself! :rolleyes: but anyone have any thoughts? should I still try breeding him? anything I can do to help him?

I have a beautiful yellow pk male that I have tried breeding with two different females and he just seems incompetent! this second time, he refused to build a bubblenest and left 200 eggs just laying on the floor of the tank! :angry: he does try spitting them on the surface but they don't stick cause there's nothing there! yesterday my 7 year old and I laughed for a long time because he repeatedly try to squeeze his female partner and he would miss her and just float there all curled up by himself! :rolleyes: but anyone have any thoughts? should I still try breeding him? anything I can do to help him?

youve got yourself an imature male that hasnt got the nack of building and breeding at the same time, it can be quite common though, a female usually wont spawn with a male that has no nest but it is known. last week i spawned 2 and the female destroyed the nest and left the male in the same situation but he added the eggs into some floating riccia that was in the tank and he managed to hatch over 200 fry but most didnt make it but there are a decent number to grow on now. anyway try adding some floating plant of some sort as ive proven that it is possible but by rights encourage him to build first, take the female out and leave him to settle a bit and he will start to build agian hopefully, when its ready and youve conditioned the female add her back in using the usual way recommended. this should work, but make sure that any airation or flow from filteration is turned right down to the lowest possible setting, do not have no filteration of any kind as the fry will need the filtered water to have a better chance of survival. some members say that filteration isnt needed but it helps so much when you have some as little as it maybe.

I did remove the female. I will try to get some plants in there for him. and hopefully he'll get the hint! :hey: he's such a beautiful fish! thanks

I had the exact same thing happen to me, we pretty close. I found that the bubble wrap worked well enough to hold any small bubbles that he happened to spit out with the eggs. Any way keep us infomred

Most reactions

Back