Breeding Convicts

JohnRossDele

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hey guys :)

i normally breed kribs but, i wanna try something new, a bit easier.

so does anyone know of any special things other than the *just add water* phrase, like best temperature, food's ect...

I also have guppies 1 krib and a half beak in the tank should i get rid of them??
thanks

heres just some pics of the tank: which would be *egg layable*

plant pot
IMG00080-20110413-2300.jpg

fossil slate
IMG00079-20110413-2259.jpg

skull (cave)
IMG00078-20110413-2259.jpg

corner
IMG00077-20110413-2259.jpg

ship (cave)
IMG00076-20110413-2257.jpg

tank
IMG00075-20110413-2252.jpg

thanks

I would say the plant pot would be the best option as everything else looks a bit small for them to get into? The corner looks like it could also entice them into spawning. I would say your other fish will have to go im affraid as the convicts when breeding will just tear them apart. :look:

Hi, if your planning on breeding convicts sucsessfully then remove all other tank mates, i hope your not doing this for profit as convicts do not fetch a good price, as there so common and easy to breed,
Personally i would get a few more pots like you have, hide one behind the plants leaving a opening enough for two cichlids to frolic, maybe get a few nice peices of slate, some straight on ground, some propped up the back wall, Remove all tank mates
Start feeding blood worm, quality pellets, prawns chopped for a couple of weeks. raise the temp a degree or two,drop the water level a little, then leave a couple of days, Then preform a nice large waterchange, add cold water in return but if waters freezing make a little warm,this time turn temp back to normal setting, then leave..see what happens with there behaviour, how many cons you have? m / f

Aside from all the other advice you've had, what are you planning on doing with all the babies?

Convicts will breed like crazy, and even with other fish, they are h$rny little devils and not fussed!

Will your LFS keep taking them from you?

thanks for all the replys :)

an lfs beside where i live just opened and i asked the owner, he said yes :)

maybe i shouldnt get convicts :/ they seem to breed too frequently and i dunno if i can handle all the fry.

does anyone have any other suggestions, since i have all the pics up it might be easier to tell. (preferably cichlids and easy to sex)

Thanks again in advance!

No reason why you shouldn't have convicts mate, especially if you have a lfs that will take them from you. Others you could try are Jade eyed cichlids, firemouths, ellioti's. If you wanted african then something like brichardi or telmatochromis burgeoni make for interesting fish. :good:

Also, it's funny how everyone says they are common and easy to breed but i don't think i have ever seen any on my lfs's... :rolleyes:

I had some Jade Eyed Cichlids that i asked a few lfs about and all of them said 'they're very easy to breed and are a bit common...' so, when i go in how come i don't see them in any of the tanks and how come when i try and search for some info on them there is very little about!!!! :grr:

dont bother with convicts mate as for minnt saying he never see's them fair enough but i have been to three lfs today all of which had tanks packed with cons

I called maidenhead today and they said theyll take the fry when they reach an inch and give me a credit note for them

Brilliant mate. I like!! Would definitely like a pair at some point. There are 3 very good lfs near me and non have them in and I have never seen them anywhere. Even if the convicts don't breed they're brilliant looking fish. I say go for it matey!

i say go for it as well, i know convicts are common fish but they are also a great fish to keep full of character i love mine :good:

Most reactions

Back