Breeding Cherry Barbs!

Morganna

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all!
Not sure if this thread belongs here since it isn't going to be a long term setup, but it's at least a journal of the experience. :)
So, last October, I acquired 10 cherry barbs, half male, half female. They've been doing great! The amount of breeding behavior that I see (males sparring, chasing) all depends on how much I feed them.

Only until now have I had the opportunity to attempt to spawn them! I've never tried to breed a fish before, so I'm very excited! I've been doing a lot of research on the timeline, supplies, and procedure.
I found a great deal on some used tanks on FB, a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon, along with a ton of air pumps and miscellaneous stuff. I'll soon get some plastic canvas and the brine shrimp eggs should come in soon. I've never hatched brine shrimp, so I'm happy to learn how to!
Yesterday I put together a diy sponge filter that I made out of a plastic, disposable water bottle, the cup that my late betta (it's been almost a year :( ) came in, ceramic spheres borrowed from the main canister filter, quilt batting/buffalo snow, and of course an air bubbler and air tubing. I'd like to give credit to this YT tutorial for the making of the filter.

Already, after only 24 hours, I can see that it's working! This filter will cycle in the main tank for two weeks, and then I'll set up and put this into the breeding 10 gallon tank. I plan to use the plastic canvas (black in color) to divide the 10 gallon in half, as well as to make a false bottom so that they can't eat the eggs once they've been laid. I'll put females on one side and males on the other, feeding 2x a day, and changing water every other. After a week or two (or until the females look ready) I'll remove the divider, toss in spawning mops turn off the light, and check on them every hour.
IMG_20230613_193529640.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230613_193509089.jpg
    IMG_20230613_193509089.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 24
When breeding barbs, danios or tetras, just have 1pr per tank otherwise the remaining fish eat the eggs as they are being laid.

The following link has info that might interest you.

It's been about two weeks since I first set up the diy filter for cycling and bacteria growth, and I've just finished building the false bottom and divider for the spawning 10 gallon tank.

I hope to start hatching the brine shrimp today. We'll see how that goes. Next is just to fill up the spawning tank with water and put a heater in it to match the main tank. Then add the filter and fish!
Also need to put together some spawning mops out of yarn since I don't have enough moss for this.
IMG_20230625_132354317.jpg

Sorry for the window glare! So, I have plastic canvas for the divider and the false bottom, which is raised up on some legos :).
I have even started some microworm and vinegar eel cultures so that I have a variety of food to feed the fry once they're big enough!

Brineshrimp eggs only take a day or two to hatch and they are too big for newly hatched barbs. When the babies are 2 weeks old you can feed them newly hatched brineshrimp. If you want to try hatching them now that is fine and you can experiment on hatching techniques, then feed the nauplii (baby shrimp) to your fish.

The first food for baby barbs is green water, infusoria, boiled egg yolk or a powdered fry food for egg layers.

Last edited:
Brineshrimp eggs only take a day or two to hatch and they are too big for newly hatched barbs. When the babies are 2 weeks old you can feed them newly hatched brineshrimp. If you want to try hatching them now that is fine and you can experiment on hatching techniques, then feed the nauplii 9baby shrimp) to your fish.

The first food for baby barbs is green water, infusoria, boiled egg yolk or a powdered fry food for egg layers.
Good thoughts! Yes, I am only trying to hatch a little bit right now until I get my technique down. I also thought that maybe the adult barbs could try to eat it, though it may be too small for them.
Once the adults are situated in the tank, I plan to set up an infusoria culture using yeast and lettuce.

Infusoria cultures take a month or more to develop. If you want to use one for fry food, start it now so it's ready when the babies hatch. the back to basics when breeding fish link above has info on making an infusoria culture.

Infusoria cultures take a month or more to develop. If you want to use one for fry food, start it now so it's ready when the babies hatch. the back to basics when breeding fish link above has info on making an infusoria culture.
What are your thoughts on the 24-48 hour method of culturing infusoria using just yeast?

Most reactions

Back