Breeding a strain of guppy

So do you think there just normal guppies or do you think ther dumbo guppy's and i can breed them
The females ain't be dumbo guppies.
I've had cases where the fin is colored but looks just like a normal fin without the gene. what is happening here?
Coloration in the pectoral fins doesn't mean they carry the kalymma gene which is responsible for the large pectoral fins. Large pectoral fins can be colored bur also translucent.
so do you think none of them are dumbos
I really don't think that those females are dumbos.

Coloration in the pectoral fins doesn't mean they carry the kalymma gene which is responsible for the large pectoral fins. Large pectoral fins can be colored bur also translucent.

Oh, i always thought that kalymma just meant colored fins, sometimes including large ones :). What is the colored fins gene called?

Oh, i always thought that kalymma just meant colored fins, sometimes including large ones :). What is the colored fins gene called?
Colored fins has got to do with the presence and the density of chromatophores in the fins. Color in guppy fins is a polygenic trait that depends on two or more different genes.
The kalymma gene is dominant in male dumbo guppies but recessive in female dumbo guppies. But a cross between these (Kk) will result in dumbo offspring phenotypically. The coloring of the pectoral fins will be Y-linked. And will be passed on by father to son. If the mother will be recessive in fin coloring, also female offspring can have colored pectoral fins (or even other fins for that matter).

yeah me ether i didnt by them as dumbos so i dont think they are.

and when i get a female and male dumbo is there anything that can go Rong when breeding them in an outside pond.

Colored fins has got to do with the presence and the density of chromatophores in the fins. Color in guppy fins is a polygenic trait that depends on two or more different genes.
The kalymma gene is dominant in male dumbo guppies but recessive in female dumbo guppies. But a cross between these (Kk) will result in dumbo offspring phenotypically. The coloring of the pectoral fins will be Y-linked. And will be passed on by father to son. If the mother will be recessive in fin coloring, also female offspring can have colored pectoral fins (or even other fins for that matter).
thanks that clears it up

and when i get a female and male dumbo is there anything that can go Rong when breeding them in an outside pond.
if the pond is cold the babies might not do well, and cold makes them grow slower

thanks that clears it up

if the pond is cold the babies might not do well, and cold makes them grow slower
yeah, i have a heater i will put that in and what degrees do you think i should put it on.

That depends on the temperature of course... But when fry are born at lower temperatures, they adjust easily and will do well in there. A lot of guppies of mine are born outdoors at higher and lower temperature. Only thing when colder is that they will grow slower.
Young fish adapt easier to other water conditions (including temperature) than adult do.

That depends on the temperature of course... But when fry are born at lower temperatures, they adjust easily and will do well in there. A lot of guppies of mine are born outdoors at higher and lower temperature. Only thing when colder is that they will grow slower.
Young fish adapt easier to other water conditions (including temperature) than adult do.
Yeah I’ll see what happens I’mgetting the water in the pond and getting the dumbo guppy’s on the weekend

Most reactions

Back