Breeding a strain of guppy

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I really like the look of dumbo guppy’s. I have a 33 gallon but that already has a random strain of guppy’s and bristlenose. I was thinking of setting up a tub out side like a 20 gallon and putting dumbo guppy’s in ther but do I need another dumbo guppy female to get them to breed. I can never find a female dumbo guppy’s at my local fish store could I use just a normal female guppy or do I need a dumbo female guppy to make that exact dumbo guppy strain.

If you're going to this, you have a LOT of reading and learning to do. When I was 12, I decided to breed a metallic green line of guppies, and took about the approach you're looking at. We learn by our mistakes, but we have no need to repeat the mistakes made by others.
Yes, you need a dumbo female or you will get a fair variety of offspring. Otherwise, you'll add to your 'random strain'.
Really breeding for a fancy strain takes a few tanks and some genetics knowledge - not a lot but enough. Just enjoy the dumbos, and if you can get females from a reliable source, then get to work.

If you're going to this, you have a LOT of reading and learning to do. When I was 12, I decided to breed a metallic green line of guppies, and took about the approach you're looking at. We learn by our mistakes, but we have no need to repeat the mistakes made by others.
Yes, you need a dumbo female or you will get a fair variety of offspring. Otherwise, you'll add to your 'random strain'.
Really breeding for a fancy strain takes a few tanks and some genetics knowledge - not a lot but enough. Just enjoy the dumbos, and if you can get females from a reliable source, then get to work.
and how long do guppys live for and how big should the tub be and if i get bad strains ill probably put them in my 33 gal any more advice thanks.

i just like the look of dumbo guppies I'm not breeding them like have heaps of tubs just a little activity to do outside and look at some cool fish and maybe make some money.

So I really like the look of dumbo guppy’s. I have a 33 gallon but that already has a random strain of guppy’s and bristlenose. I was thinking of setting up a tub out side like a 20 gallon and putting dumbo guppy’s in ther but do I need another dumbo guppy female to get them to breed. I can never find a female dumbo guppy’s at my local fish store could I use just a normal female guppy or do I need a dumbo female guppy to make that exact dumbo guppy strain.
If you're crossing a male dumbo guppy to a clean (a female that doesn't store sperm packets from another mating or matings) non dumbo female guppy, a small part of the male offspring "can" develop as being dumbo guppy. For the larger pectoral fins are depending on the kalymma gene. If you'll like to linebreed them, select only the dumbo offspring. Sometimes, it's really not clear wether a female offspring carries the kalymma gene or not when the mother is a non dumbo guppy. You could try to use some female offspring and cross them to a male dumbo sibling or back to the father. But the first couple of generations need selection to keep the kalymma gene in. So, if you're in for a serious time investment, this can be the way to do it...

Also crossing a female with a recessive kalymma gene to a male with a dominant or recessive kalymma gene will result in dumbo offspring. The kalymma gene can be both X- and Y-linked. The kalymma gene can only be recessive when there are other traits that are dominant over the kalymma gene.

But of course, the most simple direction is to use dumbo female guppy right away.
But commerciallywise, female dumbo guppies are less offered than male dumbo guppies.

If you're crossing a male dumbo guppy to a clean (a female that doesn't store sperm packets from another mating or matings) non dumbo female guppy, a small part of the male offspring "can" develop as being dumbo guppy. For the larger pectoral fins are depending on the kalymma gene. If you'll like to linebreed them, select only the dumbo offspring. Sometimes, it's really not clear wether a female offspring carries the kalymma gene or not when the mother is a non dumbo guppy. You could try to use some female offspring and cross them to a male dumbo sibling or back to the father. But the first couple of generations need selection to keep the kalymma gene in. So, if you're in for a serious time investment, this can be the way to do it...

Also crossing a female with a recessive kalymma gene to a male with a dominant or recessive kalymma gene will result in dumbo offspring. The kalymma gene can be both X- and Y-linked. The kalymma gene can only be recessive when there are other traits that are dominant over the kalymma gene.

But of course, the most simple direction is to use dumbo female guppy right away.
But commerciallywise, female dumbo guppies are less offered than male dumbo guppies.
Yeah I’ll run 2 females because I have a male and the tub will be about 20 gallon with sponge filter.

Yeah I’ll run 2 females because I have a male and the tub will be about 20 gallon with sponge filter.
1667276434501.png
if you can find a female like this and cross it with an orange dumbo male, you will get pretty good success
this is a dumbo moscow guppy. i had an orange dumbo breed with one of these before, and they made beautiful dumbo guppies with the dumbo fins.
even a faint black color in the fins of a"mixed female" that you see at stores could mean it has the gene

View attachment 258003if you can find a female like this and cross it with an orange dumbo male, you will get pretty good success
this is a dumbo moscow guppy. i had an orange dumbo breed with one of these before, and they made beautiful dumbo guppies with the dumbo fins.
even a faint black color in the fins of a"mixed female" that you see at stores could mean it has the gene
Here’s a picture of the females I got from the same shop I got three and I don’t now if ther dumbo guppy’s here’s male
8421EA86-BAB8-401D-A36F-6A3B08B47B7E.jpeg
and here’s the female’s
DAB2D475-46B8-4E2C-AD75-A1ABF62B2775.jpeg
do you think you could tell ther really hard to tell.

Here’s a picture of the females I got from the same shop I got three and I don’t now if ther dumbo guppy’s here’s maleView attachment 258008and here’s the female’sView attachment 258009 do you think you could tell ther really hard to tell.
That blue female is actually a really good orange dumbo
They are blue as females in my experience
The orange one might have dumbo fins too

The blue ones look like dragon guppies. Large pectoral fins in dragon guppies can look marvelous. Colors in pectoral fins doesn't say anything about carrying the kalymma gene. Most traded dumbo guppies have dark pectoral fins. But there are also dumbo guppies that have other colors in their pectoral fins. And there are even dumbo guppies with clear (translucent) pectoral fins. So, color in pectoral fins itself doesn't say anything about carrying the kalymma gene. The kalymma gene is responsible for the morphological growth of the pectoral fins no matter the color of those pectoral fins.

That blue female is actually a really good orange dumbo
They are blue as females in my experience
The orange one might have dumbo fins too
Do you think the orange one is dumbo and I can breed them together

The blue ones look like dragon guppies. Large pectoral fins in dragon guppies can look marvelous. Colors in pectoral fins doesn't say anything about carrying the kalymma gene. Most traded dumbo guppies have dark pectoral fins. But there are also dumbo guppies that have other colors in their pectoral fins. And there are even dumbo guppies with clear (translucent) pectoral fins. So, color in pectoral fins itself doesn't say anything about carrying the kalymma gene. The kalymma gene is responsible for the morphological growth of the pectoral fins no matter the color of those pectoral fins.
So do you think there just normal guppies or do you think ther dumbo guppy's and i can breed them

Do you think the orange one is dumbo and I can breed them together
the orange one does not seem to be dumbo
I've had cases where the fin is colored but looks just like a normal fin without the gene. what is happening here?

the orange one does not seem to be dumbo

I've had cases where the fin is colored but looks just like a normal fin without the gene. what is happening here?
so do you think none of them are dumbos

Most reactions

Back