Bottom Feeders?

robertbeech

Reaction score
I am after a couple of small bottom feeders.

Cant grow to more than 3" in length and have to eat algae.

Any suggestions?

Zebra loaches are really cool to watch chasing around the tank, all over the place. They love hidy holes too and have loads of character.

You've probably been warned before, but don't go for a common plec, they grow absolutely huge!

Suckerbelly loaches seem pretty tough algae eaters too, although I have no experience in keeping them, here's some info...

SuckerBelly Loaches

i have had a common plec until late last week when i took it to my LFS!

i was thinking about perhaps a couple of peppered cory's!

Peppered Cories will reach 3"
Bronze/Ablino cories will reach 2.5"
Julii Cories will reach 2"
Panda Cories will reach 1"
Pygmy Cories will reach 1"

Take your pick! Theyre all great. I reccomend peppered or bronze cories.

Hi robsta :)

Any cory would get along with your other fish and do well in your tank. They are often active and interesting fish to watch and I'm sure you would enjoy having them. However, they do not eat a great deal of algae and if you are getting them for this purpose, you are likely to be disappointed.

Btw, looking at your stocking list, i suggest:

2 Blue Coral Platy's
2 Zebra Danios - increase this to 4-5
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Harlequins - increase this to 5-6
5 Neon Tetra
3 WCMM - Increase this to 5-6
4 Platy fry

Up the numbers of your zebra danios, harlequins and wcmm's as they prefer to be in groups, especially harlequins and wcmm's

Btw, looking at your stocking list, i suggest:

2 Blue Coral Platy's
2 Zebra Danios - increase this to 4-5
2 Cherry Barbs
2 Harlequins - increase this to 5-6
5 Neon Tetra
3 WCMM - Increase this to 5-6
4 Platy fry

Up the numbers of your zebra danios, harlequins and wcmm's as they prefer to be in groups, especially harlequins and wcmm's
thanks for the good suggestions!

I have had previously a group of 5 danios and WCMM's and they seem to be far more active since they have paired off (especially the danio's)

I will bear this in mind for the harlequins though and give it a go as they are only exceptionally small and wont really affect waste as far as i am concerned.

Bristlenoses stay relatively small but can potentially reach 5" I think.

My pick is sterbai cories if you can find them!

Hi robsta :)

Any cory would get along with your other fish and do well in your tank. They are often active and interesting fish to watch and I'm sure you would enjoy having them. However, they do not eat a great deal of algae and if you are getting them for this purpose, you are likely to be disappointed.

aye I was gonna say, cory's are excellent little fish but not the best for algae eating.

i have both bronze/peppered cories and otos and between them they do an excellent job of keeping the tank clean. They both like to be in groups, so get a few of them if poss.

I agree with shereezy. Get atleast 3 of both the cories and the otos. That should cover the bottom well. You can get any color of the cories... they all do the same thing in my experience. But I do suggest getting all of 1 color as they feel more comfortable that way. I have 2 peppereds and 2 leopards together, and while they do kind of hang as a group, the same colors hang together more. (Did that make sense?!? LOL)

Most reactions

Back