Bottom Feeders For Gravel Bottom Tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phoenixgsd said:
fish like corys have barbels, the sticky out feelers, which can get damaged on gravel, i often see mine snuffleing in the sand
The exact info I was looking for :) what about some khulis? Although I'm also under the impression they also prefer sand?

they also have barbels i have about 10 and think they are the best fish ever :)

So to help out us newbies, especially cjhecks first question, these bottom feeders are best suited to sand. Things like shrimp and snails are better for gravel?

A lot of people have told me that Corys will do fine on small gravel as long as it is easy to push around and not sharp. I added in a "sandbox" of sorts to have a little sand in there for them. Being new at live plants I just didn't want to deal with sand and the substrate underneath the sand required. I just swapped my larger gravel for much smaller sizes.

Attachments

• 2014-01-18 21.18.07.jpg
    2014-01-18 21.18.07.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 203
Cj let me know how your corys get on as I'd prefer some smaller/finer gravel apposed to sand so I'd be interested to know how things go :)

cjheck said:
 Being new at live plants I just didn't want to deal with sand and the substrate underneath the sand required.
why would you need a different substrate under your sand, my plants are getting out of control in my tank with just sand, my amazon swords are humungous

phoenixgsd said:

Being new at live plants I just didn't want to deal with sand and the substrate underneath the sand required.
why would you need a different substrate under your sand, my plants are getting out of control in my tank with just sand, my amazon swords are humungous

I was told by some others on here that with a planted tank it's harder for the roots to grab nutrients from under the sand, so you'd want some kind of nutrient rich substrate underneath for the roots. 

I also prefer the gravel look, so I'll see how this goes.

Most reactions

Back