Bottom Feeders For A New Tank

pammy172

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi - have started fishless cycle on our 260l Juwel Vision. Sand substrate added yestarday afternoon. TetratecEX1200 filter now running.

So we're pulling together our potential stock list. Currently considering from the following:
  • Clown Loach/Corydors
  • Angel Fish
  • Congo Tetra?
  • Glowlight Tetra
  • Harlequin rasbora
  • Siamese Flying Fox Crossocheilus siamensis
  • Leopard danio
  • Banded or thick lipped gourami
  • Pearl Gourami

We have a pretty good lfs and I spent a goodly while chatting yesterday about some potential stock. Looking for a a few shoaling fish, like the look of CongoTetras for example. Got what seemed to be pretty sound advice from the guy. We mentioned getting a number of corys - poss leopard for the bottom. He suggested that our tank might not be ideal for corys as it is quite high(or deep) and that as they like to take air it's a long way for a small fish to travel :blink: . I hadn't thought of this. He has the same tank at home and has 5 clown loach in his and recommended we considered the same. We do like clown loaches but are conerned they will outgrown what is already quite a large tank and we are committed to keeping our fish - not getting rid if they get too big. Could memebrs please share their opinions, experience of corys in a 20" deep tank. Thanks

He also talked about RO water being a good idea.Happy to hear views on this too please.:)

Cories will be absolutely fine in that size tank, they will enjoy the space and will have no problem at all going to the surface occassionally. I have 11 cories in a rio 400 and they can get to the surface with ease (once they got used to the upgrade :lol:)

Corydoras are great little fish and with the sand substrate you have will love it and keep it turned over for you. I say go for it.

The clown loach would eventually need a larger tank IMO, they are slow growing so it would be a while before you needed to upgrade but eventually a large group (which they like to be kept in) would need a 6ft.

How many gallons is your tank?

Clown loaches need to be kept in groups of six plus their tank has to be a minmum of 125 gallon.

The gouramis are a nice choice. Don't get the harlequin as the angels will eat them as they're too small.

Go for something bigger like the diamond tetra. ongo tetras are fine. Keep the tetras in groups of 8 minimum.

Corys are good try to keep the in a group of 6.

Keep the, Siamese Flying Fox Crossocheilus siamensi in a a pair they like to be kept in groups.

Hi - have started fishless cycle on our 260l Juwel Vision. Sand substrate added yestarday afternoon. TetratecEX1200 filter now running.

So we're pulling together our potential stock list. Currently considering from the following:
  • Clown Loach/Corydors clown loaches will get too big but cories will be fine
  • Angel Fish may become aggressive if you buy a few and they pair up
  • Congo Tetra? good community fish
  • Glowlight Tetra ditto
  • Harlequin rasbora ditto
  • Siamese Flying Fox Crossocheilus siamensis never kept one so cant comment
  • Leopard danio good community fish but if you go for the angels you may have to cross these of the list as they are potential fin nippers
  • Banded or thick lipped gourami never ekpt so cant comment
  • Pearl Gourami as above

He also talked about RO water being a good idea.Happy to hear views on this too please.:) their is no need to use RO water, you would only need it in a reef tank, and sometimes a discus tank

Thanks for the really helpful replies so far - much appreciated :) :good:

After allowing for the substrate and plants and stuff I reckon we'll have - 50 Imp Gallons/58 US Gallons/220Litres

We're already thinking of dropping the Angelfish - or will wait until everything in the tank is mature and then put some small ones in so they won't eat the current occupants! lol :hyper:

Hi pammy172 :)

Corys will have no problem at all getting to the top of a 20" tank. Here's one of my tanks that's 18" and you can see that even these
C. pandas, one of the smaller corys, are playing happily.

Pandasplaying2.jpg

Corydoras are river fish and, since rivers sometimes get agitated and muddy, they are able to swallow gulps of air and absorb the oxygen through their intestines. They do not normally breathe this way though once in a while you might see one shoot up to the surface.

I would not recommend clown loaches with corys because they are so strong and active. I'd be more concerned that they would cause unnecessary stress for them. If you want more bottom feeders, a group of kuhli loaches would work out better.

Hi pammy172 :)

Corys will have no problem at all getting to the top of a 20" tank. Here's one of my tanks that's 18" and you can see that even these
C. pandas, one of the smaller corys, are playing happily.

Corydoras are river fish and, since rivers sometimes get agitated and muddy, they are able to swallow gulps of air and absorb the oxygen through their intestines. They do not normally breathe this way though once in a while you might see one shoot up to the surface.

I would not recommend clown loaches with corys because they are so strong and active. I'd be more concerned that they would cause unnecessary stress for them. If you want more bottom feeders, a group of kuhli loaches would work out better.

Lovely pic - thanks :) :good: We were really pleased to hear that Corys would be OK. As much as my OH likes clown loaches he'd rather have cory'sbecause of the size issue and that they are such fun to watch - so we won't be mixing Clowns and Corys, prob just go for the corys. Will not go for kooli loaches though - prefer the look and sound of the Siamese Flying Foxes - so think a couple of them will be going in.;)

Our next dilemma will be in what order and timing to introduce from the above list. Any thoughts on that people? Bearing in mind the tank will have been fully cycled before anything goes in.

Many thanks.:)
Will post some pic's of how it's looking soon too.

Most reactions

Back