Bottled Bacteria

MICKEYSWIFT

Reaction score
Hi ive got a 180ltr tank which i have it established on bottled bacteria.
Ive been reading alot on bacteria and how you should do a fishless cycle because the bottled bacteria is basically crap, unless you want to keep adding it once a week plus spending the money.
I was just wondering if i was to stop adding the bacteria, would it be like starting over again? Or is possible to stop adding bottled bacteria and still manage a stress free inviroment for the fish, while it cycles again.
Your advice would be greatly recieved.
Thanks

Hey
The best advice I can give is to buy a liquid test kit. This will tell you how the water is and then you can stop using the bottle bacteria. Not many people think it works, personally I never used it!
You can keep an eye on the parameters and do water changes if you need to but it is easier when you have a test kit!

How long have you had the tank running and how many fish are there?

Hey
The best advice I can give is to buy a liquid test kit. This will tell you how the water is and then you can stop using the bottle bacteria. Not many people think it works, personally I never used it!
You can keep an eye on the parameters and do water changes if you need to but it is easier when you have a test kit!

How long have you had the tank running and how many fish are there?
The tank has been up and running since christmas, I have in the tank 12 glowlights, 6 penguin tetras, 1 bristlenose cat fish, 1 ruby shark, 1 betta, 5 Khuli loaches, 4 platties, all very happy with no issues.
As time goes on im learning more and more, and when i read something which i didnt know i kick myself wishing i done it that way.
All part of learning i suppose.

I didn't cycle my first tank and lost 90% of the fish! We all learn! A test kit is your best friend :D

it may start a minicycle stopping the bacteria but once you have worked through it by watching it and doing water changes it will be tons better!

As far as I know there have only been 2 bacteria in a bottle products that actually contain the proper bacteria and which will work, The first was Bio-Spira and the second is DrTim's One and Only Live Nitrifying bacteria. Both of these products were developed by Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec who is the Ph.D. responsible for discovering/identifying the specific strains of bacteria that do our cycling work.

If you want to find out more about Dr. Hovanec's research, go to Google, click on the "More" link and then click on the "Scholar" link and input "Timothy Hovanec + aquarium". If you want more info on his product, go here DrTim's Aquatics

If you have had fish in since Xmas the filter is probably cycled, the only way to know is to run tests. The Hovanec product is only available in the US

If you have had fish in since Xmas the filter is probably cycled, the only way to know is to run tests. The Hovanec product is only available in the US
Hi thanks for your input, but what im saying is do i really need to keep adding bottled bacteria or in other words will the bacteria keep producing bacteria now its cycled so theres no need to add fresh bacteria?

Hi thanks for your input, but what im saying is do i really need to keep adding bottled bacteria or in other words will the bacteria keep producing bacteria now its cycled so theres no need to add fresh bacteria?
If your filter is cycled there is no need to keep adding the bottled bacteria.

Keith.

If your filter is cycled there is no need to keep adding the bottled bacteria.

Keith.
Thanks appricieate.

The Hovanec product is only available in the US

I was not suggesting MickeySwift should use the product. What I was doing was trying to provide links to relevant information to help answer the question. When it comes to the bacteria and how and why they work in keeping our tanks safe for fish (ie cycled) Dr. Hovanec is the world's foremost expert in these topics.

Unless one is using either of the two products developed by Dr. H., you are not getting bacteria out of a bottle that does anything to aid in having a cycled aquarium.

I've always used Stability by Seachem and I have added fish within the first week with no problems with ammonia or fish loss. I highly recommend this product to anyone who wants to add fish right away. I stop using it after 2 weeks. I can't speak for the other products on the market but I know that they should contain live bacteria. Before I used this product, I was using a product called Cycle(can't remember the company) and this one also worked. I know it worked because I had no issues with new tank sydrome and fish cannot suffer from the 'placebo effect'. It is a very good idea to have a water test kit at all times though as you never want to assume any product is going to work 100% of the time.

I used Nutrafin Cycle and the tank went into a new cycle when I stopped using it. I have heard good things about bio-spira but according to my lfs they are no longer making it for freshwater tanks. (Never heard of Dr. Tim's) I guess it depends on which bacteria you are using.

If the aim is to produce a cycled filter with a strong bacterial colony by fishless cycling with 100% certainty, then the best option seems to by the use of ammonia (in the UK anyway)
As long as a question mark remains about the efficacy of bottled products I would not recommend their use to newcomers who may soon find themselves having to handle the complexities of a fish in cycle

I agree with annon this is the neewbie section and people like my self who say these bottled bacteria are a waste of money to help people out and save their cash, are not helped by people who keep saying ugh inccorrect info yes there 2 out their which MAY help and are a pion to find does not really help. I did find the info very interesting on DR H papper mind.

If the aim is to produce a cycled filter with a strong bacterial colony by fishless cycling with 100% certainty, then the best option seems to by the use of ammonia (in the UK anyway)
As long as a question mark remains about the efficacy of bottled products I would not recommend their use to newcomers who may soon find themselves having to handle the complexities of a fish in cycle
+1

Most reactions

Back