Bosemani fish spitting out food

AM92

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought some rainbow fish. I have 2 males and 1 female (randomly selected). They're about 1.5 inches and seem to be swimming fine etc. I would also like to mention that I have a planted 55 gallon tank.

The issue I have is that the fish don't seem to eat or whatever they have they just spit out. I've observed for about an hour, feeding them interpet bloodworm, daphnia and flakes but no interest. It's been about 24 hours and I've not seen them eat like the other fish. I'm just wondering if this is normal or should I take them back to the pet store on the basis that there might be an issue?

Appreciate the response and sorry if there's a post on this already. I'm quite new. Many thanks.

Any pictures and video of the fish?

How long has the tank been set up for?
What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the water?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Any idea what the fish were being fed before you got them?

What other fish are in the tank?

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. My water is good and the fish seem to be swimming fine, picking at food from the substrate at times (removed most of the uneaten food). I'm not going to feed for a few hours so I'm hoping they eat then. I have leopard and zebra danios, with siamese algae eaters, albino plecos, some gouramis and angel fish. There's no aggression from other fish. I have however noticed that the two male have been competing for the female in the morning, occasionally chasing away one another.

I called the fish shop and there's nothing they can do in terms of taking them back or offering any support (not ideal, I know). According to them the fish have been eating flake.

I'm still learning and maybe it's nothing. I'll post an update if this continues. Hoping for the best..

Don't return the rainbowfish because the dominant male will spend all day harassing the female instead of the other male. Rainbowfish need to be kept in groups of 6 or more.

The 2 males are sparring and is completely normal. If both males are the same size they will be fine. If one male is bigger than the other, the bigger one will bully the smaller one. If that happens, get more fish that are the same size as the big one.

Make sure the pH is above 7.0 and the Gh above 150ppm.

Make sure they get plenty of plant matter in their diet and no frozen or live bloodworms or blackworms or tubifex worms.

Don't return the rainbowfish because the dominant male will spend all day harassing the female instead of the other male. Rainbowfish need to be kept in groups of 6 or more.

The 2 males are sparring and is completely normal. If both males are the same size they will be fine. If one male is bigger than the other, the bigger one will bully the smaller one. If that happens, get more fish that are the same size as the big one.

Make sure the pH is above 7.0 and the Gh above 150ppm.

Make sure they get plenty of plant matter in their diet and no frozen or live bloodworms or blackworms or tubifex worms.
Thanks again for the advice. I'll be sure to remember that.

I'm not sure bout rainbow fish but the advice I've gotten on here and some from colin try to keep maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 female to male ratio. That's what I've been doin with my fish

I'm not sure bout rainbow fish but the advice I've gotten on here and some from colin try to keep maybe a 2:1 or 3:1 female to male ratio. That's what I've been doin with my fish
Thanks for that advice. It's hard not to get more males given their colour, especially in the morning but I suppose I can't be selfish and need to have a balance.

I have also had problems with my fish starting to spit out food. I read a blog about this issue. The first cause is the food. The repeated use of a food that makes the fish bored or the excess of food leading to mushy and rotting are all reasons why fish spit out food immediately when fed. they eat. In addition to food problems, fish spitting out food can be because they may have problems related to their mouth or even get sick. When their mouth starts to develop tumors, ulcers, or any other deformities, they will have a hard time eating, causing them to spit up some of the food they can eat.

Last edited:
I feed mine frozen brine shrimp, bloodworm, black mosquito larvae and daphnia, they also have green flakes and hikari micro pellets...I also offer fresh veggies but they're yet to take interest in those

Most reactions

Back