Bored Betta?

Adie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

My lil' guy doesn't seem to be too happy at the moment. He's spent the last week or so just sat on the bottom of his tank, popped out today to the LFS and bought an entire new decor for his tank and an apple snail for company. That's all in now, however, it's not really seemed to have much of an effect.

He's now just sat on a leaf near the top of the tank, but not doing anything. We used to call him "Mr Shaky Head" as he was like a little puppy whenever we walked into the room and used to charge to the front of the tank and "shake" his head at us both. Now he ignores us, doesn't flare at his reflection anymore - and worryingly he won't eat. I've tried every day for the last 5 days, Bloodworm, pellets, Daphina etc but he won't touch anything.

Water stats are all fine as he's had a 100% change today - it is a filtered tank however, I've found he's happy with 100% changes once a week. Stats beforehand were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and nitrate > 5ppm so it's not water quality.

I'm wondering if it's old age. He was fairly large when I bought him and he's been my flatmate for about a year now.

Any suggestions?

Do you keep his tank heated? When my bettas get cold they tend to be lethargic...
hope someone has some better advice! :good:

You could try cutting down on your water changes. By doing 100% every week you are taking the food waste and fish waste which causes amonia which the filter lives on. This could mean that your tank is re-cycling.

Yeah, the tanks heated.

I tried to sync the water changes to my main tank - 10-25% per week, he seemed to not like that - that's why the 100% each week. He's a fussy little bugger!

Most reactions

Back