Bolivian Rams

DanielG

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking to add a nice pair of fish to add to my tank as a centrepiece and wondered if rams would be a good idea,

If you look at my sig you can see what i have

from your experience what areas of the water do rams live in, i am looking for the top to middle area to be more filled really

also are there any specific difficulties in keeping rams?

thanks

I wouldn't worry at all about your catfish being abused by the rams. I have seen rams kept with small tetras like neons, and they all got along. You'll probably be ok if you got a couple for your tank, but remember they are cichlids and may be a tad nippy from time to time. they are extremely easy to take care, and are a good starter cichlid for new fish keepers. i'd still read up on their maintaneance. they also stay relatively small, so they won't be able swallow your tetras whole. the only time i have seen these fish truly aggressive, is when a pair bred and were trying to defend their nest.

Bolivan's are great. They are easy to care for, will get colorful and have a little personality. Like the other poster said they can get a little nippy, especially once they have established themselves in the tank and you add new fish.

Another dwarf cichlid species you might want to look at is the german/blue ram. In my opinion they are better looking fish and less aggressive (alot of post ive seen consider them community fish), the down side is that they tend to hide and are not as easy to care for as the bolivians.

the only problem i've had with my Bolivian Rams is them nipping each other. But that just seems to be what they do. Great looking fish. Loads of personality.

Definately mid to bottom dwellers. I will say that mine are with lots of bigger tetras, cory cats, otos and though they chase the other fish from their stone, they had yet to actually nip anyone who comes too close. Very pretty fish!

I have 3 rams(rescued), they live in a 29g with black neons cories and a rubber lip pleco(he's being moved in a few weeks though). They generally stay at the bottom but they occasionally venture to the middle. They are typically really dull in color when you get them but they color up very well.

Ideal water parameters are:

Ph:6.8-7.4
Slightly hard water

They can live in water outside those ranges. Great Little fish. My fav :good: Bundles of personality. They also feel more secure in a planted aquarium. Very easy to breed, when you supply a pair with a flat stone. Once they start breeding :blush: my god they never stop. Very frisky :shifty:

Most reactions

Back