Bolivian Ram Sexing

Aquafox

Reaction score
I bought 2 Bolivian Ram today, I asked for a male and a female. The guy at the LFS said he was sure they were all males. Then he spotted one that he thought could potentially be a female, but he was not 100% sure. I decided to take the potential female, along with a male.

Here is the male... (potential female in background)
Bolivian Ram - Male.jpg

And here is the potential female...
Bolivian Ram - Possible Female.jpg

The male is noticeably larger than the potential female, even though they appear the same size in the photos. The dorsal fin looks the same on both to me however the tail is very different. The red markings on the males tail extend out further than the rest of the tail and the tail is in a 'C' shape, where as the potential females tail is straight. The shape of the head looks slightly different, but I'm not sure, it may just be the angle I was looking at it. The male has occasionally charged at the potential female, but is not chasing it all over the tank or anything. Is this normal behaviour? Could it be a breeding behaviour? Could it be aggression?

I hope one is a female, not just for breeding purposes, however that would be a bonus. I know the males can be territorial and aggressive towards other males (sometimes females too). Any particular behaviour to watch out for that would signal if the potential female is becoming stressed from the other male so that if need be, I can separate them before it is too late. There is a plan B in place for the potential female if things don't work out.

I just posted in your other thread about the issues with this fish, I will explain a bit more here.

First, this tank is not sufficient space for two, and at over three inches mature I would not keep one in this tank. My last Bolivian male had a 5-foot tank, that is not needed, but the point is that he owned that entire space, and all the hundred-plus tankmates (characins and cories) knew it.

Distinguishing gender in this species is very difficult, and cannot be done by external markings alone. The breeding tube when the fish are breeding is one guide, but their interactive behaviours is usually the best method. Males will be "charging" or "challenging" each other continually. If both are males, one will be dead before long in this small a tank.

Males and females must select each other and bond or they will not get along and again one (usually the female, but not always) will be dead before long. If they bond, the male will "allow" the female to be present.

Individual fish can be quite different with respect to the above, so again there is never any absolute certainty. Allowing the fish to pair up (from a tank of many) and observing this is the safest way, but again things can change in weeks once they are in their own tank.

But in the end, this tank is not large enough for more than one alone, regardless.

Looks like two females.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back