Bogwood 'tannis'

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The Taffy Apple

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good day all...currently on my 10th day of fishless cycle on my 100L tank (household ammonia)...

NitrIte has lowered to 2ppm, yet ammonia i still at 4ppm, i'm happy to be patient though as i know it can take weeks (although i do have some mature media being delivered tomorrow from an established tropical fish breeder!)

But i seem to be suffering from sme 'Tannis' of the water caused by my bogwood. I actually quite like the effect (especially at night!) and it will look even better when my shoal of Cardinal Tetras go in... but can 'Tannis' effect my cycle in anyway..? Has anyone experienced such problems?

as always, any help highly appreciated,
terry.

No, they shouldn't affect the cycle, but they do affect pH so watch that to make sure there are no sudden changes in it.

Again, thank-you Kitty Kat.

I failed to find anywhere confirming it would/could, just loads of questions wondering the same as me.
PH is (currently) under-control, although by cycling my smaller 30L tank proved i live in an area of soft water, so B/Soda was added. Looking into getting some crushed coral for my Fluval205 on this tank, PH is tested every time ammonia is at this stage :good:

Regards,
Terry.

I live in a softwater area and the addition of wood to my tank dropped my PH to 6. My tank is also a lovely shade of brown.

Ah so that could be why mine turned brown. I threw the bit of wood out and did a couple of water changes, which has improved on the brown colour ( I didnt like it) and then found that my PH jumped up a bit. Its interesting.

I've kept mine in. I don't like the colour, but am prepared to sit it out as it's a beautiful bit of wood. Hopefully it'll stop one day!

Be careful on the cardinals. People do recommend not to put them into a new tank, but rather one that's been going 6 months or so. :good:

Be careful on the cardinals. People do recommend not to put them into a new tank, but rather one that's been going 6 months or so. :good:

Thank you all, appreciated. I have 3 Cardinal Tetras in my small tank, introduced them a couple of weeks after my 'Qualifying Week' and all three seem to be doing fine, but i appreciate your comment and will look into it once the tank is cycled.

Quick Update- HOORAH! Ammonia has shown it's first sign of dropping, down to 1ppm since yesterday :good:
Even better news- A succesful Tropical fish breeder has agreed to supply me with filter media from one of his established breeding tanks and is getting it to me this evening, it's going straight in then i shall probably test, re-dose, then test again tomorrow AM !

Regards,
Terry.

Most reactions

Back