Bogwood Poisoning

angel-al

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Spoke to someone today who had put a piece of bogwood in t heir tank and the day after all her fish were dead.
Tank-240l, well estabished. Daily water testing on everything and anything. No levels, temp fine, co2 levels fine, no new fish added, no disease.

Has anyone ever heard on toxins on bogwood before?

Nope. They do have tannins in them, which arent harmful. I dont think bog woods is toxic. As it's in natural rivers, adn if it was toxic, fish wouldnt exist!

What about if toxins got on it in transit or in the shop or something. If she only rinsed it, could something have got in the tank. How about if they were polishing the shop and polish went on the bogwood. Sounds bizarre but is it possible?

Did she steralise the bogwood in boiling water.

glad I soaked my last piece for almost a month (and it's still leaching tannins in my tank 2 months later.....)

I have not heard of this happening before. I suppose it could have absorbed some chemical it may have been accidentally exposed to, which killed the fish.

You have to steralise bogwood and soak it for two days mainly to kill the parasites and remove toxins.

i had a mysterious guppy death and fish didnt look right .. i decided to remove my bogwood , and now there are fine . i steralised it a few weeks ago etc . and when i examined closely after i had removed from tank , it was rotting :S

What about if toxins got on it in transit or in the shop or something. If she only rinsed it, could something have got in the tank. How about if they were polishing the shop and polish went on the bogwood. Sounds bizarre but is it possible?
hi sorry for butting in it is wazza from last night tried to phone that number didnt get a answer was it the right one by the way what are tannins out of bog wood

Parasites can live in wood that why you have to use boiling water.

Most reactions

Back