Bog Wood

smokie

Reaction score
Hi Folks
I have recently purchaced a New AquaStart 500 tank and began its cycle on Friday 30/5/08. My LFS gave me some filter medium from one of its tanks to start things off, and I have purchaced some Bog Wood from another LFS. Looking at the tank this morning the water looks a little cloudier than it did yesterday and the Bog Wood looks like it has a white fur like coating growing on it. Is this normal, or have I got a problem with the cycling?

Hi smokie
It is probably just a build up of bacteria that has settled on the bogwood, If so its not a problem and will eventually find its own way into the filter.

Did you soak the Bogwood before putting it into the tank?

Hi Folks
I have recently purchaced a New AquaStart 500 tank and began its cycle on Friday 30/5/08. My LFS gave me some filter medium from one of its tanks to start things off, and I have purchaced some Bog Wood from another LFS. Looking at the tank this morning the water looks a little cloudier than it did yesterday and the Bog Wood looks like it has a white fur like coating growing on it. Is this normal, or have I got a problem with the cycling?

I'd suggest you boil the bogwood in a large pan for an hour or so to sterilise it before putting it in, and to remove some of the tannins (I know it's too late, but you know for next time)

is it like a white fluffy cottony type growth on the bogwood?? seen that before, should remove the bogwood and boil it to sterilise it, do a 100% water change on the tank.

I had something just like that on my bogwood. Not while I was cycling, but while it had fish in there. My Siamese Algae Eater ate it all after a while though. It didn't seem to do any harm, it was just unsightly. I don't know what it was, so don't take this as a recommended course of action! I'm just stating what happened in my tank. Perhaps I had a different white fur anyway.

is it like a white fluffy cottony type growth on the bogwood?? seen that before, should remove the bogwood and boil it to sterilise it, do a 100% water change on the tank.
Why such an extreme reaction? What is this fluff? It seemed harmless in my tank. Mine has gone completely, but just out of interest and for the future I would like to know. Thanks.

some sort of fungus/mould.

there's about a zillion different species it could be, we've no way of knowing the effects and what it indicates is that the wood has been exposed to something in storage and not been cleaned before going in the tank.

anything like that you risk contaminating the tank with god knows what, removing the wood and sterilising it is not extreme, and when your cycling a 100% water change isn't extreme either, just covering all bases.

anything like that you risk contaminating the tank with god knows what, removing the wood and sterilising it is not extreme, and when your cycling a 100% water change isn't extreme either, just covering all bases.
Better safe than sorry I guess, if you don't know what it is.

Better safe than sorry I guess, if you don't know what it is.

i've just bought some bogwood from my LFS, which was already in a tropical tank - do I still need to sterilise it? or am i ok just to rinse it with cold water and then pop it into my tank later?

i've just bought some bogwood from my LFS, which was already in a tropical tank - do I still need to sterilise it? or am i ok just to rinse it with cold water and then pop it into my tank later?

might as well just pour some boiling water over it, to be on the safe side! :good:

might as well just pour some boiling water over it, to be on the safe side! :good:

I just got it from pets at home, and it has plants on it already - wouldn't that kill them? lol

Did you soak the Bogwood before putting it into the tank?

The Bog wood had already been presoaked in the tank at the LFS, it had one or two snails on it, but I gave the wood a through washing before I put it into my tank.

Most reactions

Back