rainbow-a-holic

Reaction score
hey all,

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate < 20 added via dry ferts daily
pH - 7.5
gH - ?

From what I read mouth fungus is a common problem with boesmani rainbow fish. I have tried many different approaches and it keeps coming back. I have been adding salt to the aquarium to deal with the fungus and it always seems to temporariliy solve the problem. however, it always comes back shortly after removing the salt by performing lots of small salt FREE water changes over a week. I vacuum the gravel with every change and the tank it moderately planted with DIY CO2.

For a while i tried to limit feeding to drastically reduce waste but yet again the fungus returns upon removal of salt. I read an article recently within a book dedicated to rainbow fish that you should aim to feed them for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. I am currently trying this incase I was previously unfeeding and making the fish malnourished.

I use seachem prime as a water conditioner and dry ferts only. I used to use seachem liquid ferts until recently.

From what I read this is a common problem so I just wanted to ask if anyone has managed to find a long term solution other to addition of salt? It five minutes feeding a couple times a day not a bit excessive?

Many thanks

Oh mate don`t worry,
Pimafix is a gentle anti-fungal treatment. I will recommend you not to add anymore plant fertilizers to keep the nitrites at zero.Plus if you have a separate tank then transfer him in it.
Remember to remove carbon from your filter so that it doesn`t absorb the medicine. You can keep up the salt treatment too.

You can add an apple snail to the tank, it normally mystery snails don`t cause any harm to plants but they eat lots of fungus.

Do lots of water changes; most fungal and bacterial disease is caused by a drop in water quality, so keep the water fresh and clean.

Also keep a daily log m8 and see if you get positive results. Feed the fish maximum twice in a day. Feed such quantity as equal to the size of the eye size of the fish because it resembles the size of the stomach of the fish. Fish can stay without food for two weeks so don`t worry. Feed it at same time daily to give it routine. :blush:

Is this fungus on the mouth or near the gills? I've had this fish for nearly 2 years and 1/2 of them have had a creamy lump on the body. In once case it went away without any treatment. The current situation is with a small male and the lump is above the gill, behind the eye.

Is this fungus on the mouth or near the gills? I've had this fish for nearly 2 years and 1/2 of them have had a creamy lump on the body. In once case it went away without any treatment. The current situation is with a small male and the lump is above the gill, behind the eye.

It always appears on its mouth first and then on body shortly after if I do not treat quickly. I've been waterchanging and vacuuming on a daily bases for the last week to try and make the tank super clean. hoping for the best!

Most reactions

Back