Blue Shark?

Phantom

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen another Shark like this one??

I have had her for nearly three years now, she is not a painted or dyed albino - no red eyes, plus she is totally blue tip to tip.

Bruce1.JPG

Bruce2.JPG

It looks to me like a black shark. Morulius chrysophekadion. How big is he? The sharks I'm talking about get up to two feet. :blink:

He must be a black shark (though he's quite blue) Labeo chrysophekadion or Morulius chrysophekadion (like you mentioned)

He's not too big, about 6inches.

Thanks so much for your help! For some reason I could not find any info that matched him. (BTW his name is Bruce - from Finding Nemo - even though he may be a she)

Also just discovered why he looks grey-blue, they loose their black color when not over dark substrate - I have white sand!

Glad I helped with the ID. What size tank is he in, though? They should get over a foot long! :crazy:

i must say that is one healthy lookin Black Shark! its a credit to you Phantom!

Thanks Boboboy! He is one of our favorite fish, along with our L190 Royal Pleco. Those two have been in our tank for must be close to 3 years - they've put up with a school of Tiger Barbs, and 2 groups of Cichlids. Now they are accompanied by Angelfish, Columbian Tetras, Red Lyretail Swords, and a couple Pygmy Leopard Catfish.

They are in a 55 Gal Tank, but the Shark has not grown more than a couple of inches (he's about 6in now), I'm gonna step up my water changes (got lazy for quite a while) and maybe he'll get bigger now that the African Cichlids won't hog food.

~T~ that is amazing video, my kids nearly flipped out!

I really like black sharks.. They are supposed to get to 2ft in length if in the proper tank..

It might not grow anymore which isn't great.. it's going to shorten it's lifespan quite a bit.

Great fish! but it isnt a black shark! (Labeo chrysophekadion) the body and mouth shape are all wrong to be a black shark, i dont know for sure but it looks to be a colour morph of a red tail/red fin shark or it could possibly be a white tailed shark.

He is definitely unique - maybe the fish store was right - A blue Rainbow shark.

Nice work, I've been tryin to find info like that for 2 years!! A blue, white finned rainbow shark - so do you think this was achieved through breeding?
This would also explain his size - he's maxed out at 5 - 6 inches.

Nice work, I've been tryin to find info like that for 2 years!! A blue, white finned rainbow shark - so do you think this was achieved through breeding?
This would also explain his size - he's maxed out at 5 - 6 inches.

Thanx, and yes, from what I understand it was achieved through years of selective breeding. Ive yet to see one in a pet store locally but ive known about these guys for awhile now. Nice looking sharks:)

Just out of curosity, where abouts do you live that you were able to find a blue rainbow shark?

It could also be a Harlequin shark, Labeo cyclorhynchus. The body shape is very similar. Also, RTBS tend to get very thick in the body,not just at the front, when at this size.
Its mouth doesent look like a RTBS as well, so ids say it was a Harlequin.

Most reactions

Back