Blue night light option on my tank lid?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Linda N

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all - I have read that the fish like and/or need some real darkness at night. During the day I usually have the tank light on but the tank also has a blue night light option. Would that seem like dark to the fish? I often sleep in the living room in my recliner due to health issues and like the blue light on at night but not if it's depriving the fish of their darkness hours.

its fine.

if your really worried, put the blue light on a timer so it goes off a couple of hours after you fall asleep.

I would suggest the bluer "night" light should definitely not be on all night. Fish do need total darkness, meaning pitch black to be safe, and for several hours every 24-hour period. If the blue light is adequate for the fish to swim around, it is not darkness and it will stress them by preventing their "sleep."

I set up my tank where the tank lights go off at 9pm and the room light which are lower go off at 10pm. Kind of a sunset effect.

I'm thinking (as was mentioned) that you switch to blue at like 9pm, then a timer turns it off at like midnight or whenever you usually nod off. This gives you extended viewing and light AND gives the fish a period of moonlight, followed by total darkness.

I would suggest the bluer "night" light should definitely not be on all night. Fish do need total darkness, meaning pitch black to be safe, and for several hours every 24-hour period. If the blue light is adequate for the fish to swim around, it is not darkness and it will stress them by preventing their "sleep."
I agree. I just read about this and it said it should not be used as a night light all night. Fish need total darkness just as we do. I turn my to blue a couple of hours before going to bed because I was getting some green algae and wanted to shorten the time the white lights were in. The fish seem to like it but are still swimming with it on.

I keep the blue light on half an hour after the white lights go off. This is my cue to feed the nocturnal species and gives me half an hour to watch the fish before I take myself to bed.

My heater has a very bright red light on my 10 gallon. Maybe I should put something over it.

Thank you for all of the replies. I will discontinue leaving it on all night. I have only left it on occasionally. According to my fitbit I average 3 1/2 hours of sleep a night last week so not like I need the night light. I just like the blue color. I can see them swimming around in there with the blue light so they are fairly active when probably they should be resting (unlike me - LOL)

You need more sleep. have you been checked for sleep apnoea?

Make sure you get a couple of hours of exercise each day, it helps you sleep better at night.

Don't eat big meals, especially meat, before bed.

Have warm lights on at night, not cool or daylight globes. The warm globes have a yellow colour, the daylight/ cool globes have a crisp white light.

Change your pillow and make sure pillow cases are washed several times a week. Have lots of air flow thru the house and get rid of any dust (dust mites interrupt sleep).

Have some sour cherries at night before bed, they produce melatonin that helps you sleep.

If you are on medications, check with your doctor and make sure they aren't messing up your sleep.

Hello all - I have read that the fish like and/or need some real darkness at night. During the day I usually have the tank light on but the tank also has a blue night light option. Would that seem like dark to the fish? I often sleep in the living room in my recliner due to health issues and like the blue light on at night but not if it's depriving the fish of their darkness hours.
I have the exact same thing. I recently bought a tank which has setting in the lid, 4 different levels of white light, then two different levels of “night light” or blue light. I usually turn the blue light on for an hour before the normal light comes on so the fish can adjust to the light. I do the same thing when turning it off.

Thank you for all of the replies. I will discontinue leaving it on all night. I have only left it on occasionally. According to my fitbit I average 3 1/2 hours of sleep a night last week so not like I need the night light. I just like the blue color. I can see them swimming around in there with the blue light so they are fairly active when probably they should be resting (unlike me - LOL)
I’m so sorry you have to go through this. My BFF has Lupus and difficulty sleeping more than a few hours a night. I let her text me if she’s lonely or depressed and then we both lose sleep. Lol! Seriously, it’s so hard to try to rest when you’re sick or in pain. Prayers!

Thanks for all of the input. I do have sleep apnea and use a CPap and have for years. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which causes a lot of joint pain. Pat of the problem is related to a change in my body geometry because over the last 2 years I have lost 160 plus pounds. I can't lay down for more than a half hour or so without my lower back killing me. It doesn't bother me at any other time. My bed is pretty new so it's not a worn out mattress. I sleep in my recliner the majority of the time. I feel so much better than I did a few years ago when I couldn't walk without support or really do much of anything else because of the level of pain. I'm going to see a physical therapist to see if they might have some suggestions or treatment to allow me to move back into my bedroom. Thankfully I live alone so I am not disrupting anyone else's sleep except maybe the dogs. Throw restless legs into the mix and it's a challenge.

Chiropractor and medical pot for lower back pain. I don't normal condone whacky tobaccy but a small amount in some food at night before bed can help you sleep better. A small amount of alcohol can help too but it usually interferes with medications, so talk to your doctor first before trying either.

Thanks for all of the input. I do have sleep apnea and use a CPap and have for years. I also have rheumatoid arthritis which causes a lot of joint pain. Pat of the problem is related to a change in my body geometry because over the last 2 years I have lost 160 plus pounds. I can't lay down for more than a half hour or so without my lower back killing me. It doesn't bother me at any other time. My bed is pretty new so it's not a worn out mattress. I sleep in my recliner the majority of the time. I feel so much better than I did a few years ago when I couldn't walk without support or really do much of anything else because of the level of pain. I'm going to see a physical therapist to see if they might have some suggestions or treatment to allow me to move back into my bedroom. Thankfully I live alone so I am not disrupting anyone else's sleep except maybe the dogs. Throw restless legs into the mix and it's a challenge.

Sounds like it's time for a back MRI and physical therapy if applicable. I'm in the same boat...altho I sleep MUCH better as laying down doesn't affect my back as much as sitting or standing still (99% sure I have a herniated or bulging disc), so I'm putting off my MRI as long as possible. You sound like your quality of life is not as good as it should be, so I would absolutely be relentless in figuring out how to sleep better. My mom has RA (got it when she was 30) so I understand that part. Perhaps you need a better mattress? Best wishes on figuring it out!!

Most reactions

Back