Blue Green Algae Experiments...

Dan Robbins

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For the last few days iv been doing a few little experiments with blue green algae.
As blue green "algae" is actually bacteria, i decided to stain a few cultures with crystal violet and safranin ( gram staining technique) to determine the structure of the bacteria cell wall.
there are two main structures of bacteria cell walls, Gram negeative, and gram positive. Gram positive bacteria have a thick peptidoglycan cell wall which will retain Crystal violet dye. washing with alcohol has no effect. crystal violet is a purple dye.

Gram negative cells have an additional cell membrane which contains lipopolysaccharide - lipid based which is alcohol soluble. Therfore, staining with crystal violet and washing with alcohol will remove the stain and the additional cell membrane, counterstaing the cell with safranin stains it red.

After getting a few samples of BGA from my tank ( Quite a few samples actually ) i proceeded with the Gram staining technique.
Due to the colour of the cell this was quite difficult...
But i came to the conclusion that Blue green algae is actually Gram positive.
This means that it is readily treated with antibiotics due to the nature of the cell wall. ( i.e. penicillin breaks peptidoglycan wall causing osmotics lysis)
so, seeing as algicides are a big no, what about treatment with antibiotics for BGA?
the only problem i can possibly see is interferiance with the beneficial filter bacteria. i will have to take a few samples to determine the nature of the cell to see if it will be affected by such techniques.
Just thinking aloud.
Dan

Anti-biotics have been used to treat Cyanobacter with good results. However, it is preferable to try and fix the problem in more natural ways.
Clean up the tank conditions with more water changes and gravel cleans.
Reduce the food going into the tank, particularly dry flake and pellet foods.
Improve water movement and surface turbulence.
Change light globes regularly and use globes with a temperature or Kelvin (K) rating above 5,000K.
You can try blacking out the tank for a few days and that sometimes helps.

If the above doesn't work then try a broad spectrum antibacterial medication for fish.

can i assume frm the statement "algeacides are a big no" that they appearantly affect the good bacteria in the filters etc?

Algaecides kill lage not bacteria, therefore algaecides will not kill Cyanobacteria either. Blue Green 'Algae' is not actually algae in the same way that Marimo 'moss, balls are not moss.

They are a big no because you solve the problem very short term and then a week or 2 later you have the same problem so you waste your money and learn nothing!!!

AC

Most reactions

Back