Blue/gold Ram Questions

thezodiac

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello i could really use a little help

first im trying to decide which gender my gold ram is

thread with pics is here : http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/363422-pics-of-my-new-35-gallon-tank-and-looking-for-ideas/page__gopid__3034979#entry3034979

also, if its either a male or female when i buy my german blue ram in a little here should i go with the same or opposite gender?

thanks in advance

I'm 90% certain that's a male ram. Get one or two females to go with him :)

I believe that is a Female, though it does at the moment look a little too immature to tell, be sure to keep your temperature high around 27-28oC, xanthic strains are much more susceptible to disease than standard Blue Rams, so the temperature is pretty essential to keeping them healthy.

It can be difficult to tell with Gold Rams as most of the obvious sexing traits aren't present, it looks a little plump which is why I think female, a side on picture that clearly shows the anal fin would be of great benefit though.

The easiest sign to look for is a bright pink tummy; those are females.

The other signs are; a longer and more pointed rear end to both the dorsal and anal fin in the male, blue speckles in the black spot and black on the ventral fins in a female.

I believe that is a Female, though it does at the moment look a little too immature to tell, be sure to keep your temperature high around 27-28oC, xanthic strains are much more susceptible to disease than standard Blue Rams, so the temperature is pretty essential to keeping them healthy.

It can be difficult to tell with Gold Rams as most of the obvious sexing traits aren't present, it looks a little plump which is why I think female, a side on picture that clearly shows the anal fin would be of great benefit though.

I though both the anal and dorsal fins looked quite long (in that they extend out beyond the caudul peduncle) and pointed, that's why I said male, lol.

As you said gold rams aren't easy, and a better pic would help make certain :)

okay heres a short video and a few more pics
sorry but best quality i could get

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8XKP5_S6tQ

sdc10724.jpg

sdc10719h.jpg

my tank is kept at 80 degrees.

Tempted to say male now, looks a little young to be 100% though, it looks quite pale and the abdomen is looking rather thin, what are you feeding it? Ideally Rams require a very varied diet rich in protein, feed Blood worms, Daphnia, Brine Shrimp, Cyclops, Mysis, Chopped Prawn and Mussel and I've even had success with Tuna.

Tempted to say male now, looks a little young to be 100% though, it looks quite pale and the abdomen is looking rather thin, what are you feeding it? Ideally Rams require a very varied diet rich in protein, feed Blood worms, Daphnia, Brine Shrimp, Cyclops, Mysis, Chopped Prawn and Mussel and I've even had success with Tuna.

ive only had it for a day so its only gotten fish flakes that are supposed to be nutritious although ill prob give them some freeze dried blood worms soon.

Just wanted to add to my last post that I think its not as fiberfill yet is because of the stress from transit and a new environment

hey guys just got some really in focus pics so that could help you to detereme his/her gender

gold1h.jpg

gold2h.jpg

gold3g.jpg

gold4.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of GBR's The first one is a male the second the female(not a brilliant pic she is camera shy he is a poser lol)

P4180006.jpg

P4190001.jpg

Notice the red patch on her side?Thats the red patch an earler poster said to look for.
Hope this helps.

NN

yeah my best guess is that mines a male but i wanted to see if i was correct before i buy my blue ram

Here is a couple of pics of GBR's The first one is a male the second the female(not a brilliant pic she is camera shy he is a poser lol)

P4180006.jpg

P4190001.jpg

Notice the red patch on her side?Thats the red patch an earler poster said to look for.
Hope this helps.

NN

btw the coloring of your gbr is AMAZING! great job

how many do you have and what size tank?

I only have the 2 and it's a 60litre tank...I had to have them after I saw a pic of crazyairbornes in the fish of the month section.the male I have is a proper little character he comes to the front of the tank and looks at me then turns to the side as though to show of his colours lol

Most reactions

Back