blood worms

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
I have just returned from my LFS and I brought blood worms (live not frozen) to feed to my fish for the first time, OMG they went bannanas. I saw a minnow take a worm that was 3times its length, at least, and just gulp it down. The tetras started staking out patches of gravel where lots had fallen in a clump & defended this spot keenly. Blood worms are an entertaining food to say the least. My dannios couldn't get enough, one of them had two at once the little :devil:
I will definatley get some more! :thumbs:

I also brought home 10 plants & 4 more lamp eye panchax, as they were in a tank on there own and asked me to bring them home. so i did! :D

I get frozen blood worms for my fish and the water looks like paddington station in the rush hour when they are fed, the clown loaches tend to get more than any of the others. The babies give it a good go too. (they do make your hands smell though!) :sick:

Im curious, is there any possible health concerns from feeding blood worms? Iv heard the dried ones arent as nutritional as the frozen. I was just wondering if the frozen ones could carry disease or parasites. I would like to start giving my algel some treats, and Iv been told that bloodworms are ok.

dont' know about the fish, but probably a health hazard to humans given the smell!

Seriously, I've not had any problems with my fish because it is frozen. Try the live ones it will give your fish something to do.......it can hunt it's food down. It must be lonely on it's own give it something to do. :flex:

All of our fish get frozen blood worms as a treat about once a week. They just devour the stuff (yes, it does have a stink to it).

I feed mine bloodworms when I can get them. The lfs gets a delivery on Friday, by Saturday afternoon they're all sold out. I feel guilty if I can't get any, bloodworm feeding seem to be my fishes favourite time of the day.

I always pour the bloodworms out of the bag into a net then rinse them in tapwater before putting them in clean dechlorinated water to store. Probably doesn't do much other than delay the stench a bit, but I hope it removes some of the nasties that may be lurking in the water.

I've heard they can be fattening for fish though, so go easy on the amount you feed them, or only feed it to them every 2 days.

Most reactions

Back