Blood Worm

adam12345

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have 5 zebra danios and ive read that once a week or so its advised to feed them some blood worm. always was thinking about feeding them bloodworm anyway. but i dont want to buy some frozen stuff and ive looked on ebay and its a good price to buy blood worm pellets. will this do the same job as frozen? and i def dont want to keep live bloodworm. but the pellets are 3mm is that to big for my zebra danios to eat? also im waiting for my new tank which im going to have platys (or maybe guppies) in and want to breed them so im guessing blood worm from time to time would be good for them too. will they be able to eat it too?

thanks!

I believe that the pellets are dried, this means that in the drying process they lose lots of their nutrients. The frozen blood worms are frozen quickly and keep most of their nutrients. I chuck a cube in a day before I do a water change. As they melt, my fish come and take the bits that break off. I know of some folk who melt them in a cup of tank water before adding. Either way make sure that they also have some cooked and cooled peas to keep 'em regular. My neons regularly take a bloodworm (some are as big as they are!) so your danios should cope.

does the frozen bloodworm float or sink? my danios dont really like going to feed fromt he bottom they like it on the top of the water. how much does frozen bloodworm cost? and why do it a day before a water change? is it messy? does it mess the tank up alot if uneaten? thanks for the reply :)

does the frozen bloodworm float or sink? my danios dont really like going to feed fromt he bottom they like it on the top of the water. how much does frozen bloodworm cost? and why do it a day before a water change? is it messy? does it mess the tank up alot if uneaten? thanks for the reply :)
I bought a big bag of that Ebay dried bloodworm. Can't vouch for the nutrients but all my fish, tropical and coldwater, love it.Th ebloodworm pellets sink immediately and dissolve slowly so small fish like guppies and even larger fry can easily eat it. You can slao break pellets into smaller pieces which bigger fish like cichlids and rudd can swallow whole

Initially they float, then as they thaw they sink. My angels attacked the frozen cube, rasbora and neons caught them as they fell and the plecos and corys cleared the rest from the floor. My LFS did them for about £3 for 24. If they don't get them all, you can end up with some dead bloodworms in the top of your filter but they are too big to get through the top layer of the filter media. Not that my fish leave much behind! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for thay guys sounds like the frozen would be a better idea! dno if my fish would eat it if it went to the bottom but i might give it a try. also i just found u can buy dried bloodworm! has anyone tried this? would they recommend it? does it float? cheers people :)

I treat my fish to frozen blood worm once a week, what I do is take a cube and hand feed them for a minute until the cube melts, works a treat.

Oh they will eat it if it's on the bottom on the top in the air they will eat blood worms anywhere. Haha fish go crazy for them. What I do is put the cube in a shot glass and add aquarium water to melt it. Once it melts I add them and this way they sink slowly. It works great.

I always chop my frozen blood worm up for the smaller fish and melt it in water from the tank. I wouldn't use dried bloodworm again as it gave my fish bad bloat.

frozen bloodworm is great. If you want it to float just chuck the cube in. it'll float until it's melted, I got some to treat my corys, but they didn't get a look in on the first feed, everyone else went mental and the corys didn't get a chance...

If you do use dried blood worm,may be best to soak it in a little tank water to soften it up,otherwise it gradually swells in the stomach causing the bloating.

If you do use dried blood worm,may be best to soak it in a little tank water to soften it up,otherwise it gradually swells in the stomach causing the bloating.
I've been using dry bloodworm pellets dropped directly into tank for 6 months, feedng them to goldfish, rudd, cichlids, livebeareers, even larger fry. Never had any problems with bloating. Mine is in the form of 1cm pellets which sink and dissolve slowly.

my lfs stocks bags of live blood worm, so i always get 2 bags when i go the at 45p each its not too bad lol. all my fish love them.

just picked up some frozen bloodworm from the lfs... dropped 1 in the tank and it was savaged by all of them...

my lfs stocks bags of live blood worm, so i always get 2 bags when i go the at 45p each its not too bad lol. all my fish love them.

Mine has live bloodworm in every Friday so I get some then. They're 50p or 3 for £1.30. They keep a week in the fridge but the wife's banned me from keeping them in there now. :angry:

Most reactions

Back