Blood On Angels Fin

masnoodle

Reaction score
Hi,

i need help with my angelfish. hes about the size of a palm of an adults hand. the problem is ive recently noticed him behaving differently...he hides a bit looking quite stressed. he still feeds quite keenly an approached the tank when i come to it though not as much as he used to. hes got traces of blood on one of his pectoral fins at the site where it joins his body. hes ke

Tank size: 2ft, juwel rekord 70
pH: 7.5
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite:0 ppm
nitrate: na
kH:na
gH:na
tank temp: 80-82 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

1. has blood around one of pectoral fins at the point where it joins his body. no sign of blood anywhere else including gills etc. Has started looking stressed and has his fins closed but still a keen eater. has started to breathe starngely...breathing twice normally and the third followed quickly on as if hes constantly trying to chew something. acting quite shy. also the other smaller angel hes with seems quite stressed and they hide together.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: once a week. 20%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: methylene blue added about 1 month ago but sice no traces left.

Tank inhabitants: chocolate gouramis which ive had for 3 months with them now which are very healthy. blue ram, chinese algae eater and recently added an elephant nose (about 2 weeks) as the ammonia level in his 240L rio240 tank is a little too high so needs to be placed here temporarily but hes very healthy also.

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):
the elephant nose.

please help me on this matter as these angels are really my favourite fish and ive really come to be very fond of them over the past 6 months ive had them. any suggestions?

thank you

I would like to know the answer to this too - i think i have the same thing - just a bit of blood on one side at the joint between body and fin. any help appreciated

in fact, i have even the same tank! the nitrates i'm sure you'd need to check, but mine are only 25 ish, which shouldnt be a problem

can you supply a picture? i suspect its something normal in a way. you fish seems to be doing fine aswell.

can you supply a picture? i suspect its something normal in a way. you fish seems to be doing fine aswell.

i dont have a good enough camera to capture it cos its not that easy to see. i checked the nitrate level and they were 40ppm. slightly on the high side but i think my nitrate levels have always been 30-40ish. basically looks like a bit of blood has seeped out of the body and onto the pectoral fin by about 1mm. im fairly certain its not normal as ive kept angels for about 5 years etc and i have an eye for detail and have never witnessed this before. maybe im wrong but again i need someone with more experience to put me right.

Cae's can get aggressive, especially when it's dark. I suspect the cae went after a little slime coat during the night and damaged the fin. This would also explain both angels hiding.

I would rehome the cae, and step up water changes with some melafix added to the tank. If the redness spreads this would indicate an infection, and antibiotics would be needed.

i take your point completely about the algae eater and he has been moved to another tank. however, after doing a bit more research on this im inclined to think the problem is bacterial and perhaps haemorhagic septicaemia. any ideas on this?

dunno if this may be of any help to you, but is a pic of mine

let me know if this is what you have

Attachments

• 090207214010.jpg
    090207214010.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 27

yours infact doesnt look that abnormal from what i can see. it kind of looks orange rather than the red/ darkish red mine looks like. i dont know if its just the pic that it looks orange in or not but also the orange is in a semi circle shape following the shape of the fin which again indicates that it could be normal. has ur angels behaviour changed at all? i have taken mine out into hospital tank and they seem more comfortable now.

As the reply earlier about the CAE's, Chinese Algae Eaters can be a very bad fish to keep in a community tank, as, once they reach a certain size, they get a taste for protien. This size i think (again please correct me if i'm wrong) is about 4-5 inches. This means they will start to attack your other fish, the slime coat on the fish is attractive to the CAE's. Because of this reason i've had to rehome a couple of CAE's.

As i said, if i'm wrong please correct me, but CAE's are not the best of fish to keep in a community tank. Should not really be sold by the LFS as a community fish.

Pets at Home widely sell this fish as a community fish, but they never give the real facts once it reaches a certain size. At my local pets at home they readily sell this fish. I was once told by an employee of Pets at Home that they only sell community fish. (Chain Store Pet Shops, Money Money Money!!!!!!!!!) They must research the fish they sell before selling to the public, it would make better business.

Hemorrhagic septicemia is more systemic, and will involve the tail & dorsal. If they seem better being separated from the cae I would think an aggressive cae is the cause.

yours infact doesnt look that abnormal from what i can see. it kind of looks orange rather than the red/ darkish red mine looks like. i dont know if its just the pic that it looks orange in or not but also the orange is in a semi circle shape following the shape of the fin which again indicates that it could be normal. has ur angels behaviour changed at all? i have taken mine out into hospital tank and they seem more comfortable now.

ok, yeah he still acts fine, and i have caes in there with him, but both are only 6 months old

i think that it is just being attacked by another fish. i had an angel die because a tiger barb attacked it.

Hemorrhagic septicemia is more systemic, and will involve the tail & dorsal. If they seem better being separated from the cae I would think an aggressive cae is the cause.

yep this morning his tail has gone red too and the other angel that i also took out of my original tank into the hospital tank is following the same symptoms. is there anything specific such as oxytetracycline that would work. im a dental student and for septicaemia you would require a few strong broad spectrum antibiotics. what would you give them in the case of fish?

Oxytetracycline hydrochloride, and clean clean water. 50% water changes daily in a bare bottom tank, and remed.

Oxytetracycline hydrochloride, and clean clean water. 50% water changes daily in a bare bottom tank, and remed.

where would i get that from..and any ideas how much i should add? i have meanwhile medicated them with meth blue for prophylactic reasons. is that a good move at all?

Most reactions

Back