Bloated/Fat Blue Tetra

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have had a group of 10 Blue Tetras in my 75 Gallon along with some other fish for about 1 year.

One of these Tetras was a little bigger than the rest when I put them in. Over this time that same one has progressively gotten “fatter” to a point where it is very noticeable. No other fish is like this.

No noticeable issues with this fish… always hanging around his “friends” and always eating.

I feed 5 days a week alternating types of food.. Omega flakes, Fluval Bug Bites and then 1 say a week they get Blood Worms and Brine Shrimp.

I never see any of my fish “poop”

50% water change once a week (sometimes 8 or 9 days between)

pH: 7 or so
GH: below 100
KH: below 50
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15-20 (test was taken before a water change)

Any info would be great.. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpeg
    IMG_9248.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9249.jpeg
    IMG_9249.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9250.jpeg
    IMG_9250.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9251.jpeg
    IMG_9251.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 40
That appears to be a female, loaded with eggs that she can't drop. Do you have a second tank the same temperature you could use as a temporary holding tank?

That appears to be a female, loaded with eggs that she can't drop. Do you have a second tank the same temperature you could use as a temporary holding tank?

I unfortunately do not have another tank… that being said what are my options?

If she can unload her eggs, she'll be fine. An old trick is epsom salts, though you would have to look up the dose. You shouldn't dose the whole tank though.

If she can unload her eggs, she'll be fine. An old trick is epsom salts, though you would have to look up the dose. You shouldn't dose the whole tank though.

I guess if she can’t she will die?

Is there a problem with dosing the tank? Harming other fish?

Any other options for me?

Is the fish eating normally?
What does its poop look like?
How long did it take to get fat?

If it's eating well and doing normal coloured poop and it took months or a year to get fat, then it's probably eggs as suggested by Gary. Short of setting up a breeding tank, you could try changing the temperature of the aquarium water and either raise or lower it a few degrees Celsius. Keep it warmer or colder for a few weeks and during this time, do a big (75%) water change each day. The change in temperature and sudden influx of freshwater from lots of big daily water changes, might encourage them to breed. If that happens you can stop doing daily water changes and go back to weekly and adjust the temperature after that.

If a fish becomes egg bound they normally live a relatively normal life but are just unable to breed.

Don't add Epsom Salts to an aquarium because it draws fluid out of the fish and can upset them. If you have to treat a fish with Epsom Salts, you do it in a separate container and move the sick fish into the container for 15-20 minutes of Epsom Salts and then put the fish back in it's main tank (or a quarantine tank if using one). But I don't think this needs Epsom Salts.

Is the fish eating normally?
What does its poop look like?
How long did it take to get fat?

If it's eating well and doing normal coloured poop and it took months or a year to get fat, then it's probably eggs as suggested by Gary. Short of setting up a breeding tank, you could try changing the temperature of the aquarium water and either raise or lower it a few degrees Celsius. Keep it warmer or colder for a few weeks and during this time, do a big (75%) water change each day. The change in temperature and sudden influx of freshwater from lots of big daily water changes, might encourage them to breed. If that happens you can stop doing daily water changes and go back to weekly and adjust the temperature after that.

If a fish becomes egg bound they normally live a relatively normal life but are just unable to breed.

Don't add Epsom Salts to an aquarium because it draws fluid out of the fish and can upset them. If you have to treat a fish with Epsom Salts, you do it in a separate container and move the sick fish into the container for 15-20 minutes of Epsom Salts and then put the fish back in it's main tank (or a quarantine tank if using one). But I don't think this needs Epsom Salts.
The fish is eating normally
I have never seen any of my fish poop (lol)

I mentioned earlier the fish has gotten “fat” over a period of time (probably a few months) but it seems over the last 2 / 3 weeks the fish has put on more weight.

I would love to try the water change method but I feasibly can’t change the tank water every day because of work, kids and sports but when I do my water changes I will try to vary the temperature.

Blue tetras are a species very prone to egg binding. I don't think it kills the fish, but the fish looks miserable, and I have always had the impression its life was shortened. Blue tetras, and glowlight tetras are the ones hardest hit, in my experience.

Epsom salts are a muscle relaxant, and the theory is they can cause eggs to be expelled. I have had it work about half the time, but it's a long time since I dealt with an egg bound fish.

It takes a fair bit, so dosing the whole tank for a possible solution might not be ideal. Water changes would remove it, gradually.

You could get a plastic container, in the 15-16 litre range, and do one hour treatments to start. Or use the water change method in it.

Blue tetras are a species very prone to egg binding. I don't think it kills the fish, but the fish looks miserable, and I have always had the impression its life was shortened. Blue tetras, and glowlight tetras are the ones hardest hit, in my experience.

Epsom salts are a muscle relaxant, and the theory is they can cause eggs to be expelled. I have had it work about half the time, but it's a long time since I dealt with an egg bound fish.

It takes a fair bit, so dosing the whole tank for a possible solution might not be ideal. Water changes would remove it, gradually.

You could get a plastic container, in the 15-16 litre range, and do one hour treatments to start. Or use the water change method in it.

Thanks for this

I will try to get out and get a bigger plastic container/tote and do some salt baths

If not I will continue with the water change method

Is there a difference in how the temperature decrease happens? Can I not just lower the temp in the tank or does it need to be done with the water change?

Just raise or reduce the temperature on the heater
Sorry one more question

Raise or lower the temp? Which could give better results?

Tank temp is about 77 now

I have Yoyo Loaches and Penguin Tetras in the tank as well

Try raising it a couple of degrees and if no change after 2 weeks, reduce it to about 72F for a couple of weeks then take it back up to 77F.

Update to this thread.

I realize this thread is 3 months old but probably about 3 weeks ago I came home from work and noticed this Tetra was not filled with eggs anymore. She must of dropped them sometime that day. I never did find any eggs in the tank as they were probably a quick snack for my other fish.

Most reactions

Back