Bleach dip for java moss?

cometcattle

Go Hawks!
Reaction score
In a 10g planted tank I have a clump of java moss that has reallystarted to grow.

The problem is it has brown algae. I have 2 ottos that took care of all of the algae in the tank, EXCEPT on the java moss. They won't touch it. :no:

I just bought a stronger bulb, so I was wondering if a bleach dip would work, or should I just be patient and see if the new bulb will do the job? :dunno:

BTW The moss is tied to a piece of driftwood with fishing line. Also, I don't want to add any more fish or invertabrates to the tank.

I add a weekly dose of "Leaf Zone"(iron and potassium) to the tank, and leave the light on 12hrs a day.

Thank you. :)

I would not recommend a bleach dip for Java moss. It would probably kill the plant. If its growing quite fast you should soon see the algae losing the battle.

ChriX said:
Maybe try a break in the lighting - i.e. 6 hrs, off for 2hrs then on for another 6hrs.
Great idea, it starts tonight. :nod:

Thanks. :)

Hopefully it will also help the moss grow better.

cometcattle said:
ChriX said:
Maybe try a break in the lighting - i.e. 6 hrs, off for 2hrs then on for another 6hrs.
Great idea, it starts tonight. :nod:

Thanks. :)

Hopefully it will also help the moss grow better.
and if that dosent work then chuck out the par of the moss with the algae and keep the clean part and grow it again.
i dont know if that will work.
i havent even got any plants,. come nxt nxt wednesday,.
www.java-plants.com

Most reactions

Back