Black sword (3") nipping at Tin Foil (8")?

RZS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a female black swordtail that I have begun to notice nipping at the body and tails of my 8" Tin Foil Barb.

I have also seen her fighting off one of the males (which I assumed to be normal).

Any thoughts before the Barb gets annoyed enough to turn around and eat her?

:unsure:

Thanks.

p.s. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Just normal aggression. May be due to a lack of space - what size tank and water parameters? Also, cherry barbs grow to 2" - you can't have an 8" cherry barb!

Oops... I've edited the post with the correct name... I have no idea why I listed it as a Cherry Barb! -_-

It's a Tin Foil.

To answer your questions...

The tank is a 55 gallon long, and the water parameters are good...

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5mg/l
PH ~7.4

Thanks!

Lol ok :p

Try putting the swordie in a breeding trap over-night. A period of 'time-out' can work wonders.

And if that doesn't work - If you have room for some, you may want to put in some more tin foils though you'll probably need a larger tank as they are rather active fish. That'll keep the sword from constantly harassing the same fish. Some more female swords and more hiding places might also help reduce aggression.

:lol:

I still can't believe I did that with the names!

Thanks for the input, and I think I'll give the more swords/more hiding places a shot. I think the 55gal is barely large enough for the barb as it is.

:)

every sword ive had just likes to be annoying i guess so they all nip at every other fish.

Most reactions

Back