Black Spots On Lyretail Molly

Karmadapt

Reaction score
Hi. I bought 2 yellow lyre tails mollies and 2 silver lyretail mollies 2 days ago from Petsmart. I put them in a quarantine tank right after i bought them. Today, I planned on putting them in my main tank but i noticed that one of my yellow lyretail molly has black spots on both sides and on the top fin (the rest of the fins and tail do not have black spots). Im concerned if this is a disease (Black ich) or is just part of the Molly's color. Are the black spots an indicator of it being mature? I have male and female for both pairs of mollies. I believe the black spots are on the female molly. I tried to take a pic but the spots didn't show and the pic was blurry. If there is any confusion, let me know so I can clarify.

Also, the black dots are only on the one female yellow molly; the rest of the mollies do not have the black spots.

Now, I'm looking very carefully and closely and I think i'm seeing one or two black spots on the male molly but none on the silver mollies...either it's there on the yellow male or I'm just seeing things, but for sure there are dark spots on the female lyretail.

yea it would be very helpful...unfortunately the pics are either blurry or you just cant see the spots..i'll keep trying but i guess we're gonna have to use our imagination for now

Please do not move any fish from quarantine to a main tank after just 2 days. If you take the trouble to quarantine fish you should hold them for at least 2 weeks. That way any disease will become far more obvious than trying to spot a minor issue as it starts to develop.
Your molly may or may not have a problem. I have had many light colored mollies with black pigment spots on them but that does not mean every black spot is merely pigment. Since you have taken the trouble to use a quarantine tank, leave the new fish in it for a couple of weeks and make sure you don't have a problem that could spread to your other fish.

I'm pretty sure its just its colour pigment.
A couple of my Molly fry came developed black spots as they were growing and they seem to be the strongest and biggest out of their set. If it was an illness or disease I would imagine that it they would be weaker/smaller.

All right thanks guys! It's been about 2 weeks and it seems that it actually is a color pigment, not a disease. They are swimming happily. Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back