Black Sand.......to Use Or Not To Use?

I don't really like sand much, but black sand is an exception for me. I do much prefer the type in ianho's picture as opposed to the type in the other pictures.

Black sand really hides dirt nicely.

Nice tank! Can I ask you what kind of background do you have in this tank? The cement wall looking stuff?
Thanks! Bruce

i use a mix of black sand and black gravel.

14th2.jpg

thanks mate, it's grown up even in the few weeks of posting this pic. The background is a Juwel 3d background.

found here

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquarium-backgrounds-882/backgrounds-883/juwel-stone-backgrounds-200169.html?ref=shopping

I am about to redo the gravel in my tank and am also keen to use a black substrate. My LFS has 2 options. A black gravel, or a finer black sand.

Which is better?

I am a bit reluctant to use the sand as I have sand in my current tank and it got caught in the algae cleaning magnet, and ther are now a few fine scratches.

i have a black substrate in my big tank, its not quite sand but very fine gravel, around 1-2mm grains i'd say and i think it looks brilliant, definitely brings out the colours in the fish.
HPIM1308.jpg

funnily enough I'm about to do a sand change from argos play sand to Tropica Substrate + Black sand. I've noticed already how dirty the sand is and how long it has taken me to clean a bags worth :(

Definitely got the feeling it's going to make the colours much more bold... looking forward to it so much, we'll see how it comes out come saturday.

Most reactions

Back