Black Lab

Magnum

Reaction score
hi, everyone. i have a 9 month old black lab name Yang. i was wondering if having white on his chest and on one foot would mean he is a cross-breed with some other dog. if anyone else out there who has a black lab with white on it knows what cross-breed it would be... it would be very nice to know. cause if i'm not wrong, labs have 3 solid colors; yellow, black, and chocolate... 4 if the silver counts. ne ways, back to the original question. if ne one out there who knows what cross-breed it might be. let me know.

thanks in advance

It could be crossed with pretty much anything.. Theres LOADS of lab crosses around.

Pedigree labs are allowed a small amount of white (on the chest i think) but not much at all, if he has quite a lot i'd imagine he's a cross :)

The white patch on the chest is a cross with a border collie usually.

I would imagine the best people to ask would be a Labrador society or club. Have a look through the phone book... it doesn't have to be local or anything.

labradors can have white on there chest this is called in working circles as the "queens stamps" as many of the queens labs have a white bit on there chest and my own dog ty has a bit and i can trace his pedigree back to the early 1900's what also includes alot of the queens pedigree what is under the name "sandringham" i have also seen them with white toes and my own yellow ***** has lighter back paws and i bred her myself... it dosnt mean there cross breeds, and yes labs come in three colours yellow (this is all yellows from the nearly white to the red) blacks and choclates

best wishes
Clare

Here's a bit from a labrador breeder who is a friend of mine: (taken from her website)

White Spots

To analyze the reason why some black Labs have only a few, not-easily-seen, white hairs on their chests while others have small white spots, it is best to first picture that all Labs are white--the condition of having no melanin production. The gene loci for color control both the color of the pigment as well as the distribution of melanocytes throughout the body of the Lab. Therefore, in a black Lab, although color is determined by alleles at the B locus, alleles at the A and E loci determine even distribution of the color over the entire surface of the coat. Labs that carry an allele other than "As" at the A locus, have a greater likelihood of expressing more white hairs than those Labs that do carry "As". Therefore, although all Labs should be homozygous for the S allele at the S gene locus, some may still express white hairs on the chest, bottom of the feet and under the arms and groin areas.

If anyone is curious, check out her link here for other examples of mismatched:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

As for silver, here's a bit

Silver Labs

The silver coat color in Labradors has gained much attention recently and is a very controversial topic (see The Labrador Coat Color Controversy: Do Silver Labs Really Exist?). Reasons for the controversy stem from the lack of information available to trace the origins of this color in the breed as well as the fact that the AKC standard for the Labrador breed does not acknowledge silver as an acceptable color for a Lab. Some breed enthusiasts consider the silver coloration to be a sign of impurity of the bloodline

and a link on "silver labs"

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

Hope that helps some.

Here's a bit from a labrador breeder who is a friend of mine: (taken from her website)

White Spots

To analyze the reason why some black Labs have only a few, not-easily-seen, white hairs on their chests while others have small white spots, it is best to first picture that all Labs are white--the condition of having no melanin production. The gene loci for color control both the color of the pigment as well as the distribution of melanocytes throughout the body of the Lab. Therefore, in a black Lab, although color is determined by alleles at the B locus, alleles at the A and E loci determine even distribution of the color over the entire surface of the coat. Labs that carry an allele other than "As" at the A locus, have a greater likelihood of expressing more white hairs than those Labs that do carry "As". Therefore, although all Labs should be homozygous for the S allele at the S gene locus, some may still express white hairs on the chest, bottom of the feet and under the arms and groin areas.

If anyone is curious, check out her link here for other examples of mismatched:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

As for silver, here's a bit

Silver Labs

The silver coat color in Labradors has gained much attention recently and is a very controversial topic (see The Labrador Coat Color Controversy: Do Silver Labs Really Exist?). Reasons for the controversy stem from the lack of information available to trace the origins of this color in the breed as well as the fact that the AKC standard for the Labrador breed does not acknowledge silver as an acceptable color for a Lab. Some breed enthusiasts consider the silver coloration to be a sign of impurity of the bloodline

and a link on "silver labs"

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

Hope that helps some.

silver Labs dont exsits and are a cross breed just beacause the dog is KC reg dosnt make it a pure bred if you look at the photos you can tell it isnt a a lab it looks more like a weirm :nod:

silver Labs dont exsits and are a cross breed just beacause the dog is KC reg dosnt make it a pure bred if you look at the photos you can tell it isnt a a lab it looks more like a weirm

Woodie, that's exactly why I put the link in there. Having me say it doesn't mean as much as reading more about it, which is what I was trying for...

Most reactions

Back