Black Ghost knifes and cichlids

rjarcher

Reaction score
just like the title says are there any ciclids u can put in with ur ghost knife?

You could keep peaceful south american cichlids like satanoperca and geophagus species with a BGK without problems

That may be too much for a 20 gallon tank. I had to move one of my rainbow fish from my 25 gallon "hex" tank because it kept investigating my BGK's hiding places. I've found that my BGK tolerates small, passive fish (4 swords and a puffer) far better than it does larger fish that it may sense to be competitors for its food and shelter.

peacocks as in the mbuna cichlids? If so then thats a big fat NO, mbuna are far to aggressive to be kept with a BGK, mbuna cichlids should only be kept with other mbuna.

rjarcher,
I'll list the fish that I have in with my 2 BGK's as it is probably easier to do it that way then others can add to it.
6 Silver Dollars
6 Clown Loaches
4 Red Forest Jewels
4 Parrot Cichlids
4 Fire Mouths
4 Blue Acara
4 Rainbow Cichlids
4 Humpheads
3 Corydora Trillineatus
3 Bristle Nose Catfish
3 Angels
2 Red Tailed Black Sharks
2 Gold Severum
2 Green Severum
2 Convicts
2 Peter's Elephant Noses
1 Gold Spot Pleco
1 Sailfin Pleco
and I still have 1 danio and 1 feeder fish that I was using for test fish when I first set the tank up that nothing has taken. Hope this helps and that others will add to this list those that they have found to be compatible with BGK's.
Cheers,
Bryce.

Thats a lot of cichlids for one tank!!!!! How big is this tank if you dont mind me asking, im guessing 300 gallons or more?

The tank is 8ftx2ftx2.5ft (LxWxH) and holds 1200 litres. I'm looking at whacking a few more things in within the next month or 2. Then it will finally fully stocked. Sorry I also forgot the 2 Bolivian Butterflies and the 2 Blue Rams as well.
Cheers,
Bryce.

So its roughly 320 us gallons then, nice sized tank, however i think you would be pushing it to add any more cichlids or any other territorial fish. You already have 11 species with varying aggression from very placid to damn right nasty and have mixed fish from africa, central america and south america which isnt generally recomended, only the sheer size of the tank is allowing you to get away with it really.

Any chance of some pics or a link if youve already posted some :nod:

CFC said:
peacocks as in the mbuna cichlids? If so then thats a big fat NO, mbuna are far to aggressive to be kept with a BGK, mbuna cichlids should only be kept with other mbuna.
This will really depend on his luck.
My friend had a bgn in a malawi tank with mbuna.
his was a 30g.
The real concern is the water parameters.
-_-

I think the thing that has helped me in the compatibility compartment is the addition of fish at small sizes. All fish are now no bigger than 7-8cm other than the 2 BGK's, the sailfin pleco, 1 angel and the gold spot. I'm going to be adding some Corydora's of varying types (around another 15) as the experiment with the addition of the 4 so far has gone well, they have been in there for 3 months and haven't lost 1 yet. I think that the other thing that helps to is the amount of driftwood, plants, types of rock and the way I did the background have helped out as there is area's for each to have their own space to hide away from the others or with their own type and a free swimming area. However again I think the best thing I ever did was add a couple of fish at a time every week or 2 at young ages as they have seemingly grown a tolerance for each other, although I did have a problem black shark which was sorted out by the biggest of the 2 BGK's. Unfortunately I don't have a digi cam but am endeavouring to get 1 so will post photos when availible.
Cheers,
Bryce.

Most reactions

Back