Black Brush Algea

treefella83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my friend has identified black brush algea in my tank and says that it is caused by fluctuating levels of co2 and shrugged his shoulders at any more questions.
there is no visable signs of any other types of algea in the tank and i boast about water quality the tank is a low tech low light no added co2 but added ferts.
the plants are doing well but would like to know if i can get rid of the bba

In a high light tank it is an indication of low or fluctuating CO2 levels or not enough water circulation around the plants. In a low light tank it is often due to changing CO2 levels.

In a high light tank you will need to increase your levels of CO2 and/or improve water circulation around the plants. Scrub and cut off as much as you can first. Increase levels slowly to 30ppm or more but watch the fish to see if they are respiring heavily. Make sure you have good water flow around the whole tank along with some good surface movement. Adding a powerhead may help.
If you have a low light tank without CO2 injection then not doing any water changes will help. This is because tap water often has lots of CO2 dissolved in it which causes CO2 levels in your tank to fluctuate. The algae respond to this a lot quicker than the plants do.
Siamese Algae Eaters are known to eat BBA so can be used to control this algae.
Overdosing Flourish Excel will clear it up.

Most reactions

Back