Big Fish

Wow, that thing is probably bigger that my house!
I think the whale sharks are fine in there. Discovery Channel ran a program on this aquarium way back when, and it really is very big, Much bigger than it seems. When they fed the sharks, they got above the tank and the whale sharks didn't as seem large anymore! The part of the tank you can see is only a fraction of the entire tank.

Ryan

ooh, I see some Goliath Groupers! :D They had some of those at the Florida aquarium.

I really want to go to the Georgia aquarium

Those whale sharks are still young. In the wild they grow to about 40ft or the size of a school bus. Like most fish they won't get that big in captivity. The also spend most of their time in the open ocean and only visit shallow reefs for a short time. Very little is know about where they go to breed and ect. We do know they travel long distances during there lives. IMO we have yet to build a tank large enough to house a whale shark and we do not yet know enough about them to properly house them. The cost of catching and importing the sharks all the way from Taiwan, could of been better used studying them in the wild.

Did anyone see that documentry "ocean in a glass"?
it was a mazing, they had a great white shark in there until it had to be rehomed to the sea due to eating a tuna :lol:
the way they filtered it erc, was by pipe work direct from the sea :hyper:
they also had a kind of pump that produced artificial waves so that they could grow kelp!
it was massive about the same size as this one!
also the way they cleaned the glass was to swim in there and scrub :lol: obvisiouly they were wearing chainmail :hyper:

Most reactions

Back