Big fish for 10 Gal

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luffy Dee Monkey

Reaction score
Good day,

I have a cycled 10 gallon tank with a 60 gallon air pump, 20 gallon sponge, and adjustable HOB filter which can do 90 GPH. My tank will have either salvinia, red root floater, dwarf water lettuce or duckweed. I will only keep TWO species of the plants. As for the fish I really want to do a singular species + a single cleaner invert/fish. For the main fish I want something big, preferably 4-6 inches but i keep hearing that it’s not viable.

Can I get some recommendations for a single big fish to keep? I am very interested in african cichlids, electric blue acaras and blood red parrots.

Also if this isn’t viable can somebody tell me how many tiger barbs i can keep? (I want the starfire glofish version).

Lastly, can somebody let me know which one/two of these floating plant species can survive with having water dripping on them? I will have a glass canopy on the tank.

You can't keep a fish that big in a 10 gallon tank. That would be like keeping a dog in a closet for its whole life.
You also can't keep tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank.
What is your water's GH, KH, and PH? Once we know that, we can tell you what fish you could get.

Yeah a big cichlid like that needs 40-50 gallons really. Tiger barbs are not really a good choice here either as they get quite big and you need a good sized school to stop them nipping each other to death.

Im wondering if one of the smaller target puffers might be an option but would depend on the dimensions of the tank

Good day,

I have a cycled 10 gallon tank with a 60 gallon air pump, 20 gallon sponge, and adjustable HOB filter which can do 90 GPH. My tank will have either salvinia, red root floater, dwarf water lettuce or duckweed. I will only keep TWO species of the plants. As for the fish I really want to do a singular species + a single cleaner invert/fish. For the main fish I want something big, preferably 4-6 inches but i keep hearing that it’s not viable.

Can I get some recommendations for a single big fish to keep? I am very interested in african cichlids, electric blue acaras and blood red parrots.

Also if this isn’t viable can somebody tell me how many tiger barbs i can keep? (I want the starfire glofish version).

Lastly, can somebody let me know which one/two of these floating plant species can survive with having water dripping on them? I will have a glass canopy on the tank.
water llettuce can have drops on it so it will just roll off the leaf

Good day,

Heyo! All single fish are far too big to keep in a 10g without causing them to have stunted growth and lifespans. If you want larger fish, I recommend anything around 3 inches!

I have mollies and platys and they are perfect! Everyone's ideas for stocking are based on how well you can keep your tank clean and happy so I won't put that on here.

My recommendation for you is mollies or platys! They also have the most awesome personalities. If you want a tank cleaner, I am pretty sure algae eaters are cool, otocinclus catfish, cory catfish and maybe even loaches (not clown).

Good day,

Also, hardness of water is important but where I live, fish have been bred in this water and nothing bad has ever happened to me when my hardness didn't reach the requirements for mollies or platys!

Heyo! All single fish are far too big to keep in a 10g without causing them to have stunted growth and lifespans. If you want larger fish, I recommend anything around 3 inches!

I have mollies and platys and they are perfect! Everyone's ideas for stocking are based on how well you can keep your tank clean and happy so I won't put that on here.

My recommendation for you is mollies or platys! They also have the most awesome personalities. If you want a tank cleaner, I am pretty sure algae eaters are cool, otocinclus catfish, cory catfish and maybe even loaches (not clown).
i think mollies and platies and guppies need a bigger tank if you are going to breed them, they will have too many babies, reccomend at least a 15 gal for livebearers however i think cories are grewt, a school of 6 with sand substrate

i think mollies and platies and guppies need a bigger tank if you are going to breed them, they will have too many babies, reccomend at least a 15 gal for livebearers however i think cories are grewt, a school of 6 with sand substrate
I know this. I have had babies, however, frequent water changes and testing will clip that in the butt.

I am not breeding them, just enjoying their company and if they end up having kids, I will raise them separately and give them away.

My recommendation stands, mollies or platys!

I know this. I have had babies, however, frequent water changes and testing will clip that in the butt.

I am not breeding them, just enjoying their company and if they end up having kids, I will raise them separately and give them away.

My recommendation stands, mollies or platys!
yes! hard water mollies. they can get big but onlyy keep females or males, no mixing

Most reactions

Back