Big Characters

clen666

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, could people recommend some large friendly fish please.

Something like oscars, fish that have character.

I will be buying a new tank but as yet dont know what size Id need as I dont know what fish to go for.

Would maybe like a large pleco in there too, and some smaller fish just so it doesnt look too empty.

Any suggestions would be great! Cheers

Hi all, could people recommend some large friendly fish please.

Something like oscars, fish that have character.

I will be buying a new tank but as yet dont know what size Id need as I dont know what fish to go for.

Would maybe like a large pleco in there too, and some smaller fish just so it doesnt look too empty.

Any suggestions would be great! Cheers

Hi there. For one Oscar you will ideally need at least 60-80 gallons. If you are wanting a large pleco (like the common plecs) then you will need upwards of 120Gallons. If its a fish with a personality you want i'd pick an oscar above anything else. Oscars usually grow to about 11-13" so if you can buy an adult then you ned not worry about your tank looking empty. If not they will be pretty massive by about 12 months. :good:

Thanx for the reply.

I was thinking of a golden nugget pleco, would this be compatible?

Possibly a small shoal of tinfoil barbs or silver dollars, but would prefer something a bit more colourful, any ideas?

Thanx for the reply.

Possibly a small shoal of tinfoil barbs or silver dollars, but would prefer something a bit more colourful, any ideas?

hmmm

snakeheads?

Thanx for the reply.

red torpedo barbs?

Oscars are fab characters and nice looking fish BUT if you can't get a 120+gal tank then maybe consider a group of Bichir or Reedfish and Ctenopoma (climbing perch) that would do well in a 400l. A Gold Nugget would be fine in there too.

I quite like the red torpedo barbs. Have not heard of the snakeheads before but googled and they look mean as hell!
Are they not as aggressive as they look? Because they look like they would tear everything apart!

snakeheads are very nice ive heard!

drop a PM to Nelly, im sure he'll fill you in :)

Most reactions

Back